Pelpro HHPP2BD - Runs thru start cycle and then shuts down. (Link to cheap Vac Switch?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, I guess I know why I got this Pelpro HHPP2BD cheap. LOL

After the re-painting, I replaced the noisy squirrel cage Exhaust blower and housing with an Enviro serviceable motor and housing.
See > > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...d-noisy-exhaust-blower-any-suggestions.95090/

Then I cleaned the convection blower and it fired up fine. It also fired up fine before I bought it. ROFL ! ! !

Now if starts up and shuts down, I start it up again and it shuts down after about 10 mins or so.

I pulled out the vacuum switch and it rattles. I put the ohm meter on it and when I shake it the meter goes back and forth from Zero to Infinity on the Rx1 ohm scale. LOL
I guess that was the last straw from it's previous owner!

So does anyone have a link to an inexpensive replacement?
Most any switch will do if it has a similar mounting.

Specs - 1 - Neg Pressure Port - SPST (2 terminals NO - Normally Open and C - Common)
Cleveland Controls
NS2-1021-00
FS @ 10+/- 0.5 WC VR-V
92333-1-1008

Attachments

• PelproVacuumSwitch1sc.JPG
    PelproVacuumSwitch1sc.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 401
That looks almost identical to a Breckwell pressure switch. The part number on the switch for Breckwell is also NS2-1071-00 so barely any difference... but cheap Breckwell parts aren't since that huge price jump they gave us a little bit back.

Hello

Yes, Pelpro just jacked their parts price when they were bought out by HHT (Home & Hearth Technologies that also own Harman and Quadrafire). Now when Breckwell was picked up by US Stove Company they must have jacked their parts prices also!

I checked the Englander parts site and their vacuum switch looks the same and the price is pretty reasonable!

Grainger has the Cleveland Controls.

This has more terminals and ports but the exact same mounting so it would definately work.
Nice metal construction too!
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CLEVELAND-CONTROLS-Air-Sensing-Switch-4XB70?Pid=search
Pressure adjustment range from 0.12 to 5.0 WC This switch should be set to the lowest setting .12 for most pellet stoves

This has a different mounting and is cheaper plastic but may mount on other stoves
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CLEVELAND-CONTROLS-Air-Sensing-Switch-6XPX7?Pid=search

Attachments

• GraingerMetalVacuumSwitch.jpg
    GraingerMetalVacuumSwitch.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 155
negative pressure switch what is the actual pressure rating, i cant tell on my screen is it 1.0 +/- .05? or is it .05 ? 1.0 is a lot, .10 would be more likely we carry a .17 and a .05 in.wc 2 way switch though i'd rather know what the actual pressure requirement is on the stock switch first.

BTW did you check the hose? the port where it gets vacuum? if there is a restriction due to ash buildup the switch may not get enough pressure to hold once the unit fires and air density falls off. have you tried jumping the wires from the switch together to test fire and see if the unit continues to run? i would not want to leave it jumped but it would make for a good test to determine if the switch is dropping causing the shutdown.

negative pressure switch what is the actual pressure rating, i cant tell on my screen is it 1.0 +/- .05? or is it .05 ? 1.0 is a lot, .10 would be more likely we carry a .17 and a .05 in.wc 2 way switch though i'd rather know what the actual pressure requirement is on the stock switch first.

BTW did you check the hose? the port where it gets vacuum? if there is a restriction due to ash buildup the switch may not get enough pressure to hold once the unit fires and air density falls off. have you tried jumping the wires from the switch together to test fire and see if the unit continues to run? i would not want to leave it jumped but it would make for a good test to determine if the switch is dropping causing the shutdown.

Thanks Mike
The stock switch is in the 1st photo above. I just looked at it again and I missed the "Point" - It is .10 not 10 Thanks that is a big difference!

The hose looks clear but, When I shake the vacuum switch the meter goes from short to open! Is that right?

Why do you think it is a vac switch sounds like a low limit. FYI all danson stoves use a L120 disc for POF which is NC

Thanks Scott
That is really good to know. I knew Pelpros are different I did not realize they were that different! I will check that out since the housing was replaced also!

Thanks Mike
The stock switch is in the 1st photo above. I just looked at it again and I missed the "Point" - It is .10 not 10 Thanks that is a big difference!

The hose looks clear but, When I shake the vacuum switch the meter goes from short to open! Is that right?

the switch is clicking back and forth as you shake it, dont do that too much or too violently its a diaphram switch when pressure is applied it either pushes or pulls against that diaphram and this movement actuates a microswitch in the unit

the switch is clicking back and forth as you shake it, dont do that too much or too violently its a diaphram switch when pressure is applied it either pushes or pulls against that diaphram and this movement actuates a microswitch in the unit

Yes, I agree but does that mean the diaphram is weak or just operates at a very low WC?

Yes, I agree but does that mean the diaphram is weak or just operates at a very low WC?

they are very low WC switches, so the diaphram is very pliable thing to remember is that since the switch is such a light throw the diaphram is very thin and succeptible to developing a tear this would cause leakage similar to if the hose had a leak, now as the air heats up in the stove the leak becomes more relevent eventually the switch would not hold against the reduced pressure and it would open, this would trigger the response the switch is intended to trigger but not necessarily for the right reason

Status
Not open for further replies.