Pelpro PP130 observation on probe placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Og157

Jan 8, 2023
Nj
Searched through and really couldn’t find this anywhere. For all Pelpro noobs like me. I just fired up my stove yesterday and I ended up not sleeping because it was so hot. I have a small home so I figured it would shut down once It was warm but it only shut down once for exactly 6 minutes and it was 86 degrees in my house on level 1. I blew through 1 bag in 28 hours so im not complaining but if it cycled off and on I expect it to last longer. The manual offers zero help on properly placing the probe and only states to pull it out 2 inches. What I noticed is there are vents back there moving air and the fresh air intake is directly beside the probe. Hello Pelpro it will never read the temp if it stays there. I grabbed some paint safe puddy and stuck the probe in multiple locations to the right and left of stove at different heights. I found that for me 12” to the right about waist high shut the stove down within 5 minutes. I opened all the windows and turned on my whole house fan and brought the temp down to 72, moved to setting 2 and it fired right up. It ran for a bit and shut back down at 75. It’s been a few hours now and the stove has cycled multiple times keeping the temps more or less where I want it. I’m hoping I got it but for all the Pelpro noobs looking for that elusive question “ where to mount the probe”, just move it around until it works. Don’t keep it just sticking out of the stove a few inches. I’m sure someone has left it where they state and it works fine but everyone’s situation is different. I’m almost positive that moving it to that sweet spot will make it more efficient. Wish I could just wire in a thermostat

I have a PP130 and have messed with moving the probe around some. It can be finicky because it is effected by drafts in the house etc.

A new guy is making an adapter to connect your PP130 to a wall thermostat so you can use it to better regulate the room temp.

They used to be called Pellet Miser, but now it is guy on Facebook called Pellet Hoss. I ordered one, but have not installed it yet. I plan on relocating the pellet stove and dont want to bother with running a thermostat wire twice.

Here is my thread regarding it.

I can provide you guys with a parts list and wiring diagram to DIY a pellet miser if you would like. As far as the factory probe, if it is ran to a good area the factory dial control on the pp130 does pretty well. Potentially better than a wall thermostat.

Before I hooked up my pp130 to a thermostat I extended the probe length so that it would go to my main floor. My pellet stove is in the basement, so even on setting 1 it would just run full blast and heat my first floor well over 80 before the basement got warm enough for the probe. I just cut the factory probe in the middle and used some doorbell wire (about 20') and ran the probe to my first floor. The stove cycled very well and kept my house at a consistent 70-72.

Reactions: _56 and Jeremy6500
I can provide you guys with a parts list and wiring diagram to DIY a pellet miser if you would like. As far as the factory probe, if it is ran to a good area the factory dial control on the pp130 does pretty well. Potentially better than a wall thermostat.

Before I hooked up my pp130 to a thermostat I extended the probe length so that it would go to my main floor. My pellet stove is in the basement, so even on setting 1 it would just run full blast and heat my first floor well over 80 before the basement got warm enough for the probe. I just cut the factory probe in the middle and used some doorbell wire (about 20') and ran the probe to my first floor. The stove cycled very well and kept my house at a consistent 70-72.
As far as the parts to hook it to the thermostat, about what is the total cost.

I think it was $45 delivered for my Pellet Hoss controller I just ordered. At that price I figured it was worth fixing my issue with my checkbook.

So parts needed are a 5v relay board, old usb cable, thermostat, thermostat wire, and 2 - 6" lengths of wire.

I had the relay boards laying around from another project, I think I paid $2 a piece, but I just looked on amazon and they are between $3 and $8 depending on the seller. I used an old usb cable and cut the end off for my 5v power supply and then used a cheap honeywell mechanical thermostat (May swap for a programmable Lux). So I'd say you could set it up for about $20 depending on your thermostat and length of wire you have to run to your thermostat.

However, I totally understand the convenience of just plug and play.

Reactions: Jeremy6500
So parts needed are a 5v relay board, old usb cable, thermostat, thermostat wire, and 2 - 6" lengths of wire.

I had the relay boards laying around from another project, I think I paid $2 a piece, but I just looked on amazon and they are between $3 and $8 depending on the seller. I used an old usb cable and cut the end off for my 5v power supply and then used a cheap honeywell mechanical thermostat (May swap for a programmable Lux). So I'd say you could set it up for about $20 depending on your thermostat and length of wire you have to run to your thermostat.

However, I totally understand the convenience of just plug and play.
Thanks for the info