PelPro PP130 Shuts Down in Cold Outside Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

benjaminniebla

Feb 3, 2023
NH
Hey everyone,

New member here. Installed my PelPro PP130 in October. I have an issue with the stove shutting down from tripping the snap disc because it thinks it is overheating. The blower seems like it is a little weak. I have done all proper maintenance, cleaned the stove, baffles, exhaust path, vaccuumed the hopper and still having issues. I have an outside air kit installed. What trim should I set it to in single digits? Any insight or help at all is appreciated thanks!

It's possible that it is actually overheating or the snap disc is faulty. I personally haven't heard of a faulty snap disc on a newer one yet, but that does not means it's not possible. Did it throw the code for overheating? Is the exhaust blower still running fine and have you cleaned your vent pipe? If the snap disc is shutting you down then it's possible the venting is partially plugged and not allowing it to vent properly. What kind of pellets are you using? I know this seems like a lot of questions, but the more info the more we can rule out!

It's possible that it is actually overheating or the snap disc is faulty. I personally haven't heard of a faulty snap disc on a newer one yet, but that does not means it's not possible. Did it throw the code for overheating? Is the exhaust blower still running fine and have you cleaned your vent pipe? If the snap disc is shutting you down then it's possible the venting is partially plugged and not allowing it to vent properly. What kind of pellets are you using? I know this seems like a lot of questions, but the more info the more we can rule out!
I believe it to be overheating because the snap disc gets tripped. The stove feels hot. I'm not sure it throws a code, the snap disc trips. Shortly after it cools I can reset it and it starts up in shutdown mode. Once I restart the stove in any comfort setting the stove will go into high and start a large flame, regardless of any damper adjustments (I have tried all). It has been extremely prevalent on cold nights (15*F outside temp and lower). The exhaust blower seems to be running fine. Vacuumed very far back into that exhaust chamber. I am using Tractor Supply Pellets (where I purchased the stove). The stove will run on low without causing the snap disc to trip. The thermostat in the same room as the stove shows about 71 when the snap disc trips, not extremely hot by any means and much less so in the rest of the house. The temperature probe is adjusted away from extreme heat or cold sources. I installed the stove very recently so I didnt see a need to blow out the exhaust flu yet but I am willing to give that a shot if you suggest it could be a constriction point. Again I hope these details help and I appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: Shoe1757
I don't want to say it is a definite exhaust issue, it all depends on how hard the stove is used and the pellets. Unfortunately this also alters the info you receive on the forums. Some people use it to heat 1 or 2 rooms and barely use a bag in 24 hours. Some are like me and burn 3 bags in 24 hours on cold nights. I installed my second one in my basement around December and can see some build up in the vent pipe after 1 ton of pellets. I have also seen my neighbor install a new vent cap that had fine mesh and it built up with soot and completely plugged off in a few weeks.

But if everything looks good and the flame is not lazy, I would say the vent pipe is fairly okay. Have you checked the convection/room blower to see if it's fairly clean and secured well? Is the exhaust temperature probe attached well to it's mounting point? (When this probe gets to 140 degrees is slowly starts the blower, then as temperatures get up to full the blower comes up to full speed) If all these things are good and the wiring connections are good then it may be the blower. I can walk you through testing it if necessary

I do not think you have a snap switch, but a exhaust sensor probe. They are pretty cheap to replace.
However, PP is known for having convection fan problems. A common one is, the hotter the stove gets, the less the convection fan blows, then stove overheats., the motors were the problem.

Screenshot_20230205-084235_Drive.jpg

Hey Bob! The 130/130B does have a snap, it's on the backside of the firebox by the auger spout. Which makes me wonder if your baffle plate is installed correctly as well, if flames are able to touch the bare firebox it could snap the disc as well.

Reactions: Mt Bob
@Shoe1757 You seem pretty knowledgeable about this unit, and depending where at in SW PA you are, we're pretty close. I'm in Beaver County, not far from Butler County. I'd love to pick your brain about this thing because it's new to me.

I seem to have an issue, or maybe it's just being temperamental based off some of the forums I've read. I installed it Thanksgiving weekend (2022) and used it sparingly at first, but now rely on it daily for our main heat source. It's installed on our first floor, in such a way the intake tube and exhaust tube are both able to run directly out the back of the unit, and straight through the exterior wall. The intake tube is ~5 feet off the ground, the way my house/first floor is oriented. The exhaust tube goes out the wall to the T, up 5 feet and has the adjustable 90* termination cap. I put anywhere between 1 to 2.5 bags of Cheat River hardwood pellets in daily. I vacuum the firepot and entire firebox daily. I remove the firepot and poke through every hole and scrape it clean every other day. I also scrape all the excess ash and soot from all surfaces / nooks I can see or get to in the firebox about every other day.

Since install, I removed the center baffle once, and vacuumed everything that exposed the best I could - I have not yet removed all 3 baffles, just the center one. Nor have I cleaned any fans/blowers/exhaust parts since install. I did empty the exterior ash catcher (I'll call it that, can't think of what it's called) that's on the bottom of the T, one time.

I never had any issues, or so I thought. Recently and most notably this morning I noticed the debris left in the fire pot and surrounding areas was still incredibly hot (even some embers still) after it was off all night - usually 6-8 hours - closer to 8 last night. I thought that was odd and makes me wonder if there is a blockage somewhere in the exhaust system causing it not to cool down? I also noticed this morning that there was a thin layer of very black soot inside the entire firebox. Usually there's ashy residue to always scrape off the box, but I've never seen black soot like this inside of it before. There were still distinguishable pieces of pellets in the pot/box that were burnt and charred, but certainly not just ash. Last night after I turned it off, the house didn't fill with smoke, but there was a strong campfire odor all night and still this morning until I fired it back up, which again makes me wonder if there is an exhaust blockage, or maybe the fan that blows heat into the room is dirty? Regardless, that has never happened before. I turned it on this morning at 6AM after my normal vacuuming of the pot/box and it seemed to take longer than normal to get the flame going. By the time I got home for lunch around 1PM, the glass door was almost entirely covered with black soot, which in my experience is normal to have at least some soot built up on the glass, but not that bad in that little of time.

Some things that have always been consistent since install, that may be an issue according to what I've read here & in the manual:
1. I'm unsure of what a lazy flame is / how to identify if I have one.
1A. I have never had an issue with smoke leaking into the house.
1B. The size of the flame isn't always consistent - it's usually always flickering out of the pot by 4-6 inches, but at times it doesn't even crest the top of the firepot. It has never died on me, except one time when I didn't empty it for 3 days lol.
2. The burnt debris left over has always resembled at least a piece of a pellet. There is usually ash mixed in, but there's almost always little pieces of charred pellets left over.
3. We usually keep the temperature dial between 3 and 6
4. Have never adjusted the blue dial under the temp dial
5. This unit maintains a pretty consistent temperature throughout my house. If its 25-35 outside, I can count on the unit to keep my house at 68-72 degrees. Any colder than 20* outside and I think my house is just too drafty, and my furnace kicks on at 66. For example, that single digit weather we had the other day, I had the stove burning on high for 2 hours and it didn't budge over 66 in my house.

I'm not sure if this all sounds about normal, or if I'm having issues. It heats the house fine, and I'm assuming the soot/smell issue last night & this morning is from me not giving the whole thing a good cleaning. Although, I will say if that's the case, I'm surprised that after 3 months of use fans/blowers need cleaned already, but maybe I'm naive. Regardless, tonight I'm going to take everything apart and clean it really good.

Open to feedback from anyone!!

Reactions: _56
@Jyoung992 Black soot is usually a good indication of not enough oxygen for proper combustion. I'm not sure how many bags or tons you have burnt so far with the new stove, but I would highly recommend pulling the left most baffle off and doing a good clean on the exhaust port that leads to the exhaust blower. I installed mine around thanksgiving as well, it is heating our whole house so it is on its 4th ton of pellets since thanksgiving. I would probably also recommend also going ahead and taking the blower motor out and maybe just brushing it off with a stiff bristle brush if it is not to built up. I think it is also easier to clean the exhaust port from the blower side as well, I never had much luck just trying to clean it from inside the firebox.

Good news is that a restriction in the exhaust is almost the exact cause of the lack luster performance and unburnt build up! Only bad news is that its kind of a dirty job. I would say on average it takes me 30 to 45 minutes to pull out the fire pot, baffles, left side panel, exhaust fan, brush everything down, vacuum, and reassemble.

Sounds like you have everything sorted out pretty well to me! Before I added an external thermostat to my stove, I ran in on comfort setting 3 I believe and it functioned identical to yours. Would ramp up to a big flame, then once temp was met it would just kind of die down to a low flame, I don't believe it ever really went out other than because of user error.

Is your ambient temperature probe sticking outside of the machine?

@Jyoung992 Black soot is usually a good indication of not enough oxygen for proper combustion. I'm not sure how many bags or tons you have burnt so far with the new stove, but I would highly recommend pulling the left most baffle off and doing a good clean on the exhaust port that leads to the exhaust blower. I installed mine around thanksgiving as well, it is heating our whole house so it is on its 4th ton of pellets since thanksgiving. I would probably also recommend also going ahead and taking the blower motor out and maybe just brushing it off with a stiff bristle brush if it is not to built up. I think it is also easier to clean the exhaust port from the blower side as well, I never had much luck just trying to clean it from inside the firebox.

Good news is that a restriction in the exhaust is almost the exact cause of the lack luster performance and unburnt build up! Only bad news is that its kind of a dirty job. I would say on average it takes me 30 to 45 minutes to pull out the fire pot, baffles, left side panel, exhaust fan, brush everything down, vacuum, and reassemble.

Sounds like you have everything sorted out pretty well to me! Before I added an external thermostat to my stove, I ran in on comfort setting 3 I believe and it functioned identical to yours. Would ramp up to a big flame, then once temp was met it would just kind of die down to a low flame, I don't believe it ever really went out other than because of user error.

Is your ambient temperature probe sticking outside of the machine?
I just got all the baffles out and cleaned up, man the ash that was behind that. Was debating on cleaning the the blowers but I already have the sides off so I may as well.

Shocked you’ve gone through so many pellets. I have about 1900sqft between 2 floors and have been burning it daily since at least mid December and we’re at about halfway through a second ton.

Probe is outside the machine I believe. Whatever is sticking out of the back near the bottom is short and black and prob-ish looking lmao.

Appreciate the feedback. I’ll see how it fires up tonight when I get it back together and report back.

So it's been burning for 12 hours and what a difference. The glass is virtually clear still, and the campfire smell is gone. The fire pot looks like I still just turned the unit on. When I took apart that exhaust blower I was again shocked at the debris that was in the fan, and in the pipe going through the wall. It was damn near half clogged! Kinda wild the manual suggests only a yearly cleaning on that or 'as needed'.

@Shoe1757 appreciate the quick responses. I'll be bookmarking this forum for the future. Cheers 🍺