Peppers Calabrese

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
My family's canning tradition involves the following ingredients. I used 1 bushel sweet bells,, 1/2 bushel hot bananas, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and diced.
Plenty of chopped garlic, basil, and some olive oil:

Roast until soft. Stir...stir....stir...Drink and spin ridiculous amounts of BS while stirring.

Add bubbling soft peppers to hot jars. seal.Traditionally, that was it.

I alone can peppers while some firmness remains and boil them for 45 minutes in a water bath. (Know it all with Biology degree frowned upon by rest of family...what the heck is botulism, anyway?)
Mine keep longer.They're coming around. After 20 #$%$#@ years...<>

Back in the day, We would do 6-10 double roaster batches, adding more and more hots to the bottom of the previous batch. Higher number batches were insane by my standards. i do an almost all sweet batch for my wife and kids, and a hot batch for me and to give to relatives. If I disappear from this forum, my oldest brothers have found this thread and eliminated me for omerta violations.

Buon appetito!

Beautiful work, man.

Yum, sounds great. How do you serve, on pasta?

Looks great! I only use approved canning recipes/methods. The idea of something growing in there scares the heck outta me.

Did a mess of apple sauce last week, and 2 1/2 gallons of saurkraut last night.

Looks great! I only use approved canning recipes/methods. The idea of something growing in there scares the heck outta me.

Indeed! There is a bell book recipe that's similar - 45 min is pretty standard for hot tomato canning. Can't believe my relatives haven't had an issue without water bathing them. Darwin swings and misses...

That looks great. I too am interested in its basic uses. Bolognese?

Definitely bolognese, especially with sausage subbed in, and any other pasta application. Great on "Dego bread" with cheese, sausage sandwiches. Great in omelletes, on burgers, over steak...May even puree some as a BBQ sauce base this year.

Reactions: begreen and Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.