(Photos) Seal Cove Auto Museum, ME

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
We are staying on the west side of Mount Desert Island for a week, and the first couple days got rained out so we drove over to the Seal Cove Auto Museum. Not as big as Owl's head I'm sure (going to try and see that on the drive home if I can) but its an absolutely gorgeous collection.

Worth a look if you like Brass era cars

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...245.1073741829.1522838115&type=1&l=de305093fb

1000500_10201528509364266_1888911266_n.jpg

943602_10201528512164336_1191308635_n.jpg

Tomorrow the sun should be out so it will be sea Kayaking and then off to Acadia :)

Weather should be fair for most of this week with the possible exception of Friday.

If you like old vehicles I hear that the Cole Land Transportation Museum in Bangor is also decent.

West Side . . . Quiet Side? I always enjoyed camping on that side . . . and then visiting the madness in Bar Harbor during the day.

Reactions: UMainah and jharkin
West Side . . . Quiet Side? I always enjoyed camping on that side . . . and then visiting the madness in Bar Harbor during the day.

Yup, quiet end of the island. Right on the water in seal cove in fact, about 10 minutes to Echo lake, 30 min cross Island to Bar Harbor & the Acadia loop road.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Yup, quiet end of the island. Right on the water in seal cove in fact, about 10 minutes to Echo lake, 30 min cross Island to Bar Harbor & the Acadia loop road.

Also affectionately referred to as "The Back Side" by the locals. I live in Bass Harbor.

Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bass Harbor is a must do, lobster by the pound cooked in sea water, the way they should be.

If you can find it, over on the other side of the Island, in Seal Harbor, Hunters Beach, is a magical place.

Get your Hearth fix on vacation at Timber Tina's Lumberjack show in Trenton, It is where the Lumberjack competitions you see on ESPN every once in a while are held.

Reactions: jharkin
Also affectionately referred to as "The Back Side" by the locals. I live in Bass Harbor.

Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bass Harbor is a must do, lobster by the pound cooked in sea water, the way they should be.

If you can find it, over on the other side of the Island, in Seal Harbor, Hunters Beach, is a magical place.

Get your Hearth fix on vacation at Timber Tina's Lumberjack show in Trenton, It is where the Lumberjack competitions you see on ESPN every once in a while are held.

We saw the lumberjack show driving in last weekend. If the kids were a bit older...

We did go to Thurstons also ( I'm not a seafood lover but the rest of the party is). Funny story about that. To set the stage, its me, the Mrs, our twins and my MIL and SIL here. We are at Thurstons enjoying our meal and this boat drives up and guess who comes ashore for some lobster?

Martha Stuart and her entire entourage.

My wife is a MAJOR Martha fan, as is her sis and mom. I swear the three of them turned into a bunch of teenage girls googling over their latest crush. They used the kids as cover to walk down the dock and scope out Martha's table for some paparazzi pics and her mom actually ambushed Martha at the ladies room for a photo. It was hysterical.

Reactions: Ashful
We saw the lumberjack show driving in last weekend. If the kids were a bit older...

We did go to Thurstons also ( I'm not a seafood lover but the rest of the party is). Funny story about that. To set the stage, its me, the Mrs, our twins and my MIL and SIL here. We are at Thurstons enjoying our meal and this boat drives up and guess who comes ashore for some lobster?

Martha Stuart and her entire entourage.

My wife is a MAJOR Martha fan, as is her sis and mom. I swear the three of them turned into a bunch of teenage girls googling over their latest crush. They used the kids as cover to walk down the dock and scope out Martha's table for some paparazzi pics and her mom actually ambushed Martha at the ladies room for a photo. It was hysterical.

I heard she was in town, motored over from her Seal Harbor home no doubt, must have been quite the boat. You should've asked her how long she seasons her firewood for, bark up or down, and top covered or not, that would have put an end to that debate ;)

I heard she was in town, motored over from her Seal Harbor home no doubt, must have been quite the boat. You should've asked her how long she seasons her firewood for, bark up or down, and top covered or not, that would have put an end to that debate ;)

She did indeed, my wife read her blog post the next day. The boat is called Skylands II, you can google it. Not that big but I could see in the cabin its all wooden and must be quite expensive. Very nice boat.

BTW your Island is just beautiful. The wife and I where thinking we would absolutely love to live there if there were more career opportunities for me up there and it was just a bit closer to all our relatives down here. Maybe when we retire :)

We also got Kayaks for a few days... I could get used to that too :)

45618_10153089333665455_454568318_n.jpg

You should've asked her how long she seasons her firewood for, bark up or down, and top covered or not, that would have put an end to that debate ;)
:lol: she is the authority on all things domestic.

She did indeed, my wife read her blog post the next day. The boat is called Skylands II, you can google it. Not that big but I could see in the cabin its all wooden and must be quite expensive. Very nice boat.

BTW your Island is just beautiful. The wife and I where thinking we would absolutely love to live there if there were more career opportunities for me up there and it was just a bit closer to all our relatives down here. Maybe when we retire :)

I think her place in Seal Harbor is called Skylands, the boat is probably a Hinckley picnic boat, I think they are a cool half mil, that's a hell of a picnic.

Glad to see the Seal Cove Auto Museum is doing well. If i remember right the admission is something ridiculous, like $3. There was a bru-ha-ha a few years ago, I don't remember all the details. I think the owner died some years ago and the lawyer in charge of the estate was not keeping things above board. They ended up having to sell a few cars to keep things liquid. I remember taking my daughters there when they were young. One of them was swinging the rope on the people barrier and toppled the whole thing over, missing the front fender of one of those beauties by millimeters. The museum guy gave me a look like you don't want to get, I wanted to crawl under a rock. It was one of those moments you cringe every time you remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.