Piazzetta Monia room temp too hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JP_NH

Nov 10, 2021
NH
Hi all, looking for some help with temperature setting.

First off, I am in a rental property so I do not know how the stove was setup in terms of the advanced settings, so my apologies in advance. but any quick help would be much appreciated. this will be my second winter running the stove and I never noticed this happening last winter. Only thing that's changed is I bought a more premium pellet this time around.

Simply put, this Monia is not responding to the room temperature. It just continues to climb, even if I set it to P1 and room temperature to 50F it will get to 80F in the room if I let it run long enough. Ive read the A-Z sticky on the Piazzetta and I don't see anything obvious. The sensor probe seems to be working as its reading the room temperature accurately.. for example; it will say room temp 78F even though I have it set to be, say 65F. If I hold the sensor in my hand for a bit it will increase on the reading. So it certainly doesn't seem to be faulty. I don't have energy saving enabled and I'm burning the Northern warmth Doug fir green bags. the display reads ok when running.

sidetone: We were away for a few days and one person checking on the house left the hopper lid open while running after I told them to fill and it went into error/alarm state. next time when they came back and noticed, I told them to just shut off the outlet it is plugged into. I got home, turned it on and let it finish its shutdown state to clear the error. Could that have caused this?

so in short I can't set the temperature to be lower. I set room temp to desired temp but it just seems to run as hot as possible.

Thank you in advance!

Have you ever cleaned it?

Have you ever cleaned it?
Hi Sidecar, thanks for reaching out! yes I clean it on a daily basis.. ash tray, grate support, burnpot etc. Beyond that in terms of taking it apart, for example.. smoke chamber, internal baffle, firebox etc... I have not. I've read the manual a bunch and have gotten pretty knowledgeable on how to operate it. But as I'm not the owner I have avoided messing around with it other than the basic cleanings.

it was professionally serviced last September, and since then I've burned roughly 2.5 tons. The property mgmt company continues to underwhelm in every way possible and I asked to get it serviced back in sept in which they scheduled an appointment for January 5th!! if that is really effecting efficiency or you think that having it serviced would solve it, I can try and press them to get someone out here. I could also reach out to the owner and maybe he will be more inclined to get it done sooner. if they don't care to keep it maintained as much as it should then I don't have a problem either but I definitely want to do something about it if its just going to burn through all of my pellets and cost me far more to run.

It HAS to be taken apart, especially the combustion fan and plenum and of course the venting must be cleaned. I own 3 rentals and I would never allow a Tennant to have a solid fuel burning appliance in my rentals. In fact, one had a fireplace and I eliminated that when I remodeled the house. They can either heat conventionally (propane central furnace (high efficiency) or electric portable heaters (they pay the electric bill). Not saying you are a bad renter at all. With me, it's a liability issue. My insurance carrier won't allow it.

No offense meant at all. You have to clean it and often.

It HAS to be taken apart, especially the combustion fan and plenum and of course the venting must be cleaned. I own 3 rentals and I would never allow a Tennant to have a solid fuel burning appliance in my rentals. In fact, one had a fireplace and I eliminated that when I remodeled the house. They can either heat conventionally (propane central furnace (high efficiency) or electric portable heaters (they pay the electric bill). Not saying you are a bad renter at all. With me, it's a liability issue. My insurance carrier won't allow it.

Thank you, I can't speak to the reason for allowing it, and Im happy they do as I love using it and have been happy with it. The property only has electric heat maybe that's why. But I don't understand why they wouldn't be on top of maintenance.

I'd say I'm a bit more handy than most but no master when it come to this stuff. Is what you suggested to do easy or is that something a professional would need to do? As long as the steps needed are in the maintenance manual I'm happy to do it if they don't have someone come look at it asap... Especially since I just spent $400 on pellets. It sucks even more since the utility company just sent a notice that rates are obviously going up due to the energy crisis. Thanks again
I Pm'ed him, thank you

Update... someone will be out as soon as they can to service, so I'll wait to run it until that happens. I know Pascal is one of the Piazzetta gurus on here (Its only been 2 days since I first reached out and he seems like a busy guy so no worries) but any advice from the experts on here that I could relay to the person doing the maintenance would be appreciated!

SideCarFlip.. I would still be eager to do some of the maintenance later this winter that you mentioned if its in the operators manual and you don't need to be a professional... therefore I could adhere to a full clean every 2 tons or so as recommended. As I mentioned, I'm really happy with it and would love to have a stove in a house of my own when this housing market is no longer unhinged!

Routine stove maintenance is very easy, hardest part is removing the draft fan from it's housing. You need a 1/4" drive socket set and a new gasket when putting it back together, the easy fix is put a bead of Red RTV around the edge of the combustion fan housing where it fastens to the plenum. Let it vulacnize for a day and put it back together and no gasket will ever be needed again.

First off, I am in a rental property so I do not know how the stove was setup in terms of the advanced settings, so my apologies in advance. but any quick help would be much appreciated. this will be my second winter running the stove and I never noticed this happening last winter. Only thing that's changed is I bought a more premium pellet this time around.

Simply put, this Monia is not responding to the room temperature. It just continues to climb, even if I set it to P1 and room temperature to 50F it will get to 80F in the room if I let it run long enough. Ive read the A-Z sticky on the Piazzetta and I don't see anything obvious. The sensor probe seems to be working as its reading the room temperature accurately.. for example; it will say room temp 78F even though I have it set to be, say 65F. If I hold the sensor in my hand for a bit it will increase on the reading. So it certainly doesn't seem to be faulty. I don't have energy saving enabled and I'm burning the Northern warmth Doug fir green bags. the display reads ok when running.

sidetone: We were away for a few days and one person checking on the house left the hopper lid open while running after I told them to fill and it went into error/alarm state. next time when they came back and noticed, I told them to just shut off the outlet it is plugged into. I got home, turned it on and let it finish its shutdown state to clear the error. Could that have caused this?

so in short I can't set the temperature to be lower. I set room temp to desired temp but it just seems to run as hot as possible.

Thank you in advance!
If you leave the lid open for more than 60 sec. You will get a "SMOKE SECURITY" error code , you can change this to 90 sec. if it is an issue
For excessive heat you can use ENERGY SAVING mode, there is also a way to adjust the pellets feed, and the combustion air.

Reactions: Mt Bob
If you leave the lid open for more than 60 sec. You will get a "SMOKE SECURITY" error code , you can change this to 90 sec. if it is an issue
Think I'd put a jumper on that dummy switch. So long as the unit is a negative draft unit (combustion air pulled through the firebox, not forced in and pressurizing it), that switch is totally superfluous. In fact, I removed mine on my house unit (6039) and jumped it on the control board. The one I bought was already removed and the board jumpered.

Reactions: Pascal_Maertens
Think I'd put a jumper on that dummy switch. So long as the unit is a negative draft unit (combustion air pulled through the firebox, not forced in and pressurizing it), that switch is totally superfluous. In fact, I removed mine on my house unit (6039) and jumped it on the control board. The one I bought was already removed and the board jumpered.
You're right about it will work, ( they took that switch off on all the newer models ) but it all depends on the province or country where you live, there are different regulations. Example in Canada if you modify a product that has been approved, you will no longer be covered by your insurance so be careful with the modifications. Especially since it is so easy to increase the number of seconds, I believe that 60 seconds is more than enough to refuel once you know it but you can also increase it to 90 sec. without modification to the product. ( Programming Line 11P )

I've never heard of any insurance agent or representative looking inside any bio mass stove before, not that would even know what they were looking at in the first place. Insurance to me is nothing more than something you have to have to secure a mortgage or own a vehicle and I have both of course.

Maybe Canada is different but I will say there would never be an insurance agent looking in mine. One, I would not allow them access and two, I don't cotton to strangers in my abode.

Seems a bit paranoid on your part. Safety switches are only installed by builders to limit their liability in case of an issue and they increase the unit cost as well. I have the same issue with my ag tractors and they get defeated or removed as well as I'm competent to sail my own ship and not stupid.

I've never heard of any insurance agent or representative looking inside any bio mass stove before, not that would even know what they were looking at in the first place. Insurance to me is nothing more than something you have to have to secure a mortgage or own a vehicle and I have both of course.

Maybe Canada is different but I will say there would never be an insurance agent looking in mine. One, I would not allow them access and two, I don't cotton to strangers in my abode.

Seems a bit paranoid on your part. Safety switches are only installed by builders to limit their liability in case of an issue and they increase the unit cost as well. I have the same issue with my ag tractors and they get defeated or removed as well as I'm competent to sail my own ship and not stupid.
As a Piazzetta professional, I cannot advise a customer to modify their stove under any circumstances. Hearth.com is known for its professionalism I intend to keep it that way. Yes, Canada it is different, if there is an incident, they will inspect you like it or not! You must understand that I am present on more than 6 Forums; English, French and Italian. Internet as no borders that's why since the regulation are different from one country to another, I always ask to check with their local authorities and insurance policies rather than rednecks on the internet.

As a Piazzetta professional, I cannot advise a customer to modify their stove under any circumstances. Hearth.com is known for its professionalism I intend to keep it that way. Yes, Canada it is different, if there is an incident, they will inspect you like it or not! You must understand that I am present on more than 6 Forums; English, French and Italian. Internet as no borders that's why since the regulation are different from one country to another, I always ask to check with their local authorities and insurance policies rather than rednecks on the internet.
I'm a professional farmer but that don't mean I have to adhere to all farming practices if for some reason I do do a work around that makes it easier for me and it increases my profit margin as well. I'm in business to make money and so id the fab shop. If I wasn't I'd be gone down the tubes.

After 20+ years of dealing with the USSC 6039-41 stoves, I must be a professional amateur with them. How's that.

If I adhered 100% to every inane regulation, I'd be bankrupt. If you had any idea of the complexities I have to deal with just so you can eat, you'd be amazed.

You don't have to tell anyone anything. I already told him (if he cares to read what I posted) that is.

Hopper switches fall under the realm of making something idiot proof and mitigating liability. Nothing more. First thing I did was delete the one on my house stove. The unit I just refurbished didn't have one and if it did, it would have been removed. Simple as that. Guess the original owner figured that out.

Reminds me of the TPMS that comes on all newer cars today. Only reason why it's there is, people are too lazy or aren't aware of checking their tire pressure regularly. I do, always have. They don't check their oil either and when the motor tosses a rod, they scratch their heads. Guess that is why most small engines have low oil shutdown. Kind of surprised it's not on cars too. Probably will be at some point.

Protecting yourself from yourself is mainstream today, sadly.

Thank you in advance!
I used doug fur and spruce both in my Sabrina. It also can get up to 80 degress in my room also if i let the doug fur burn like 8 hours or more. See, when the stove reaches the set temp... it just goes into power 1... now that will keep blowing hot air, and depending on the location of your sensor it may make your room to be "80" its probably more like 75 further away... This is completely normal. Go back to like a

Thank you in advance!
I notice if i run doug fur on my Sabrina it also can get the room to 80 or so if i let it run long enough, usually in the oct nov dec month... jan-march not so much since its so cold out.

When you set your stove to 65... it goes into p1 when it reaches 67.. i think there is a setting that you can adjust degrees 1 or 2.... but it will keep blowing hot hair.. that because doug fur generates ALOT more heat then the cheapo pellets. I use La Create in the warmer months and Doug fur in the colder ones. This has been the case since i purchased it brand new. I dont think its a defect, its because of your pellets, because nothing can account for the hotter room exept, the fan speed.. which you can adjust on various power levels.. p1 p2 p3 p4 in advanced settings, and the pellet it self. Since you didn't change the rpm of your convection fan setting it must be your pellets. I know cause i also tried doug fur and noticed same... i clean it and everything so... hope that helps. The other thing that sucks is that there is no way to "cool" down the temp. For example, even if it reachers 80, the fan still blows are X rpm or whatever... perhaps in the future they could have a manual setting for blower so you can adjust "live" but ... i wouldn't think twice, just crack a window a little

I used doug fur and spruce both in my Sabrina. It also can get up to 80 degress in my room also if i let the doug fur burn like 8 hours or more. See, when the stove reaches the set temp... it just goes into power 1... now that will keep blowing hot air, and depending on the location of your sensor it may make your room to be "80" its probably more like 75 further away... This is completely normal. Go back to like a

I notice if i run doug fur on my Sabrina it also can get the room to 80 or so if i let it run long enough, usually in the oct nov dec month... jan-march not so much since its so cold out.

When you set your stove to 65... it goes into p1 when it reaches 67.. i think there is a setting that you can adjust degrees 1 or 2.... but it will keep blowing hot hair.. that because doug fur generates ALOT more heat then the cheapo pellets. I use La Create in the warmer months and Doug fur in the colder ones. This has been the case since i purchased it brand new. I dont think its a defect, its because of your pellets, because nothing can account for the hotter room exept, the fan speed.. which you can adjust on various power levels.. p1 p2 p3 p4 in advanced settings, and the pellet it self. Since you didn't change the rpm of your convection fan setting it must be your pellets. I know cause i also tried doug fur and noticed same... i clean it and everything so... hope that helps. The other thing that sucks is that there is no way to "cool" down the temp. For example, even if it reachers 80, the fan still blows are X rpm or whatever... perhaps in the future they could have a manual setting for blower so you can adjust "live" but ... i wouldn't think twice, just crack a window a little
Thanks for the help all. Ravippe, Pascal wrote me via email and echoed much of the same. So the stove is working fine.. as you and Pascal mentioned, there's a certain point/minimum temperature that it will run on and won't go any lower which makes sense. So Im not going to bother with any advanced settings and it will be professionally serviced next week.

I used wood and sons last year and happy to see the more money I spent on the Doug fir was worth it. In Southern NH we still have yet to see consistent temps in the 20's and below this heating season so I'm still running energy save mode as Pascal suggested... though I noticed it is taking a little longer than a few weeks ago to reach max set temp and kick the stove off, so I expect by January ill switch that off. I appreciate the advice on using the cheaper pellets outside of Jan-Mar. And as the rest of the month is forecast to be warm as well, maybe I'll try a few bags of VT pellets and save the Doug firs for later in the winter. thanks again!

Yes, for my stove follow what i said. I usually use the chrono feature to turn it on or off based on time only. I load up the weather... If its 40 or under outside ill put it on a timer. If its over, ill leave it off and manually turn on or off.

I think the energy saver thing is a waste.. turning on and off back and forth. It also puts more wear on the ignitor.

I would..

Once a year clean the inside box.. the panel on bottom that comes out with an allan wrench. Vacuum inside, use your fingers and rub scrape anything off the fan blade.. use red high temp silicone caulk on edges of plate and place it back and tighten after cleaning... My shop did that. He says it makes a better gasket.

Then clean out the pipe.vent best can with a pellet brush.. use one thats fiber.. home depot and lowes sell them. Its got a plastic flexible rod so it goes deep and curves.

Take off the top grate, 4 screws. Make sure they don't fall in.. remove grate.. remove the bottm panel. You have open the door first.. acess the two screws on bottom.

This will allow you to remove the two panels on each side. They slide into the back and tighten in the front. I unscrew the screws in the back half way to loosen the panels and unscre the front ones completely. I then vacuum the inside, the convection fan, use a air duster... Get any pellet dust out etc.

Reassemble, slide the side panels back into the screws in the back (half unscrewed) and when everything seems secure tighten. Same with front. The front just sits on the metal.. the screws hold it in. Watch how you disassemble it.

Also every three or for years get a new ignitor. It might sound unnecessary, but why chance it. It basically just slides out from the inside, and unscrews with a small wrench. It plugs into a connector. Cost about 90 bucks. Its good peace of mind.

Aftet watching the guys do it, i noticed what they dont do..now you know.

Reactions: Pascal_Maertens
Yes, for my stove follow what i said. I usually use the chrono feature to turn it on or off based on time only. I load up the weather... If its 40 or under outside ill put it on a timer. If its over, ill leave it off and manually turn on or off.

I think the energy saver thing is a waste.. turning on and off back and forth. It also puts more wear on the ignitor.

I would..

Once a year clean the inside box.. the panel on bottom that comes out with an allan wrench. Vacuum inside, use your fingers and rub scrape anything off the fan blade.. use red high temp silicone caulk on edges of plate and place it back and tighten after cleaning... My shop did that. He says it makes a better gasket.

Then clean out the pipe.vent best can with a pellet brush.. use one thats fiber.. home depot and lowes sell them. Its got a plastic flexible rod so it goes deep and curves.

Take off the top grate, 4 screws. Make sure they don't fall in.. remove grate.. remove the bottm panel. You have open the door first.. acess the two screws on bottom.

This will allow you to remove the two panels on each side. They slide into the back and tighten in the front. I unscrew the screws in the back half way to loosen the panels and unscre the front ones completely. I then vacuum the inside, the convection fan, use a air duster... Get any pellet dust out etc.

Reassemble, slide the side panels back into the screws in the back (half unscrewed) and when everything seems secure tighten. Same with front. The front just sits on the metal.. the screws hold it in. Watch how you disassemble it.

Also every three or for years get a new ignitor. It might sound unnecessary, but why chance it. It basically just slides out from the inside, and unscrews with a small wrench. It plugs into a connector. Cost about 90 bucks. Its good peace of mind.

Aftet watching the guys do it, i noticed what they dont do..now y

Attachments

• Entretien en photo ang.pdf
    499.5 KB · Views: 185