Piazzetta Sabrina popping Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

No More Oil

Jan 28, 2014
NJ
Hi All,

My Sabrina started making this loud noise that is kind of a cross between big raindrops falling on metal and popcorn popping. The stove seems to be working OK. I cannot find any pattern. There does not seem to be any relation to the auger or grate cleaning. The sound can last for a few seconds to 30 seconds or more. It has happened over several bags of pellets, though from the same pallet. Any ideas?

Evan

Reactions: Ssyko
Can you post a video of the stove doing this?

Attachments

• Sabrina_Noise_20201228153929.mp4
    10.3 MB
Plus one on that. Room air fan have dry bearings maybe? I have to say that is one noisy unit. View glass is very dirty too.

That would drive me bonkers.

Plus one on that. Room air fan have dry bearings maybe? I have to say that is one noisy unit. View glass is very dirty too.

That would drive me bonkers.
I will check the fan and report back.

The glass is just a rush cleaning job.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Kudos! It is the room fan. I am ordering up a replacement.

In the mean time, any idea how high is safe to set parameter P15 to minimize fan activation until I can make the repair?

Take it out, clean it with compressed air and oil the bearings with 3 in 1 oil, bearing are dry. be sure to unplug the unit before you stick your fingers inside. All the leads are 110 volt. Fan is most likely filthy too.

The fan unit is out and clean. Do I just place a few drops of 3-in-1 in the space between the end caps of the fan blades and the housing mount until it turns freely? Should any oil be added to where the axel extends from the motor housing?

Thank you for your generosity!

Reactions: Washed-Up
The fan unit is out and clean. Do I just place a few drops of 3-in-1 in the space between the end caps of the fan blades and the housing mount until it turns freely? Should any oil be added to where the axel extends from the motor housing?

Thank you for your generosity!
Where the 'axle' which is the armature shaft comes out of the motor housing, the bearings will be in the ends of that motor housing..... oil there and let it sit and soak in for a half hour or so.

As a rule of thumb I take apart all my blowers (combustion and room air) and oil them every spring when I shut mine down and deep clean it and the venting for it's warm weather sleep. At that time, I'll really soak the bearings and let them sit all summer so when cold weather rolls around again, it's ready to rock.

Been on the original blower motors and auger drive motors 15 years now with no replacements ever. All in how you maintain a unit.

Not a generous person, just educated about how these contraptions work and how to keep them working as cheaply as possible. I'm cheap..... :)

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Still making the noise after an hour of soaking. Video and pictures attached.

Attachments

• Sabrina_noise_2.mp4
    11.8 MB
  • PXL_20201229_145926666.jpg
    PXL_20201229_145926666.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 127
  • PXL_20201229_145852321.jpg
    PXL_20201229_145852321.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20201229_145907787.jpg
    PXL_20201229_145907787.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 126
  • PXL_20201229_145944648.jpg
    PXL_20201229_145944648.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 118
I think I would replace the bearings

I suspect you ignored the noise too long and euchered the bearings. Once they get dried out and you ignore them (noise), at some point they are junk. They can be replaced but you need take the motor apart and extract the bearings and get the item numbers off them and order new ones, Probably will be on Amazon, but Motion Industries or Detroit Ball will have them for sure and both do online sales.

At this point you only option is to buy a new fan unit and rebuild the old one for a spare and if you don't want a spare, you need to start being a bit more maintenance aware. Like I said in an earlier post, I take my unit COMPLETELY APART every spring, clean it, clean the venting, remove all the motors and drives, lube all the bearings and grease all the reduction gearboxes and then in the fall, it's good to go with no worries. I have in the excess of 15 years on my unit and I've NEVER replaced any mechanical components or bearings.
Kind of an expensive way to learn about periodic maintenance. No unit ever built is maintenance free, despite what the stove salesman tells you.

Thank you all for your help! A new part is on the way.

The note about complete PM is well received. I have been cleaning it well off-season but was not aware of the detailed attention to give the bearings. Being self-taught I can be shy about digging-in when something is working; but now that I see how simple most of it is, I look forward to spring cleaning.

Merry Happy to All!

Evan

Wed all like to help but sometimes things get too far gone to fix. I would if I were you, oil the bearings on the new blower motor before installing it. Just because it's new don't mean the bearings are adequately lubricated. In the spring, pull your combustion fan, clean the plenum out and the venting, brush off the combustion fan blades with a soft brush and oil the bearings on that motor too, The auger drive motor will probably have oil holes in the outboard bearing support, oil it and put a drop or two on the gearbox side as well.

In retrospect, I believe the noise you were hearing was the motor armature hitting the field laminations because the bearing were wallowed out and were allowing the armature to contact the motor frame. It is repairable so if you have time, repair it and keep it for a spare. You never know when one will fail.

I keep spares for everything, that way if I ever did have a failure I can replace a component quickly and keep the heat on.

The last update, I hope.

So the blower unit was out of stock, but with more cleaning and oiling and soaking, the original is functioning much better. I can still hear the bad bearing(s) but much quieter; not the airplane in my living room. And now that I hear that, I know the sound that I needed to hear towards the end of last season. I also found a friend of a friend that will show me how to clean and repack new bearings.

Thank you!

Reactions: Washed-Up
I value the combined experience and wisdom of the experts here, and it occurred to me to double-check my stove manual, because I didn't remember anything about lubricating the motors in the routine maintenance instructions. I found this:

BLOWER MECHANISMS (season)
Unplug the stove then open the right and left side panels to access the two blowers. Vacuum all dust from motors. DO NOT lubricate the motors. Check gaskets and replace if needed.

I'd be interested in knowing why they'd say that, since you all seem to feel strongly that keeping motors lubricated is important.

I read your post, I haven't had any issue yet, but obviously parts wear down. I have a Piazetta Sabrina, and was thinking to just get a spare part Convection blower for "just in case"

How exactly do you remove it? I understand there are screws, but where are they? Do i remove the left panel of my stove, or the right, or both, I know where its located, just dont know where the screws are located , how to access that part and remove.

Thanks again!

I read your post, I haven't had any issue yet, but obviously parts wear down. I have a Piazetta Sabrina, and was thinking to just get a spare part Convection blower for "just in case"

How exactly do you remove it? I understand there are screws, but where are they? Do i remove the left panel of my stove, or the right, or both, I know where its located, just dont know where the screws are located , how to access that part and remove.

Thanks again!
You have to remove both side claddings, then there are two screws on each side of the blower unit.

I don't know that I would buy a "just in case" spare. I think that my problem came from a major renovation project that created a lot of ambient dust. Next time I will wrap the stove.