tyler.woodard04 Posted By tyler.woodard04, Nov 1, 2017 at 1:03 PM

1. tyler.woodard04

tyler.woodard04
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2017
    Loc:
    clyde ny
    Hello all, new to the forum but have had a sabrina for going on 3 winters now. Overall we like the stove and it heats our house very well. The trouble Ive been having is the room fan. When we first installed the stove it was super quite. about #2000 in it started to make a louder noise. the dealer came out and looked at it, took the fan out and cleaned it. the noise went away for a few days then came back. They came out again and did the same thing but also oiled the bearings on the motor end. Again was good for a short time then came back. since Ive owned it Ive personally taken the fan out at least 6 times to run the vacuum on it. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I just replace the fan? You get used to it but when you shut it down you realize how loud and obnoxious it really is. Thanks in advance

2. heat seeker

heat seeker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    It probably needs new bearings. Some you can replace yourself, others you just replace the motor and keep the old one for a spare. It's up to you and your wallet whether it's worth the time/money to get some quiet.
    BTW, running a vacuum over a motor won't clean it thoroughly - you need compressed air to blow out the windings properly. Dust in the windings won't cause noise, but it will cause the motor to overheat. IMO, this should be done during the annual cleaning.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tyler.woodard04

tyler.woodard04
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2017
    Loc:
    clyde ny
    Its not the motor making the noise, its the squirrel cage. I've vacuumed, I've scrubbed with a brush and ive blown out with compressed air. I'd like to think I'm mechanicaly inclined but can not figure out if this is something that can be fixed or need replaced

4. gusto

gusto
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Northwest Territories
    I am on my second fan , the second one started to get noisy I don't think you have a problem with the squirrel cage not much in there to create noise . Sleeve bearings on the motor ,drilled a small hole in the sleeve casing and lubricated with a syringe I just use motor oil . Very quiet again ,the second picture is the rotor of my original fan and you can see the discoloration those things get very hot . Used a 1.5mm drill bit

Later

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pascal_Maertens and bob bare like this.
  5. Pascal_Maertens

Pascal_Maertens
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Mont-Laurier, Qc
    very interesting I will try this and probably foward this to my customers

6. gusto

gusto
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Northwest Territories
    There is a felt material between the casing and the sintered bronze sleeve ,did this two weeks ago and so far so good

Later

Pascal_Maertens likes this.
  7. gdphishman817

gdphishman817
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Randolph, MA
    gusto, how has this worked out? My room fan just started getting pretty noisy and I'd like to try your solution, thanks.

8. gusto

gusto
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Northwest Territories
    So far so good , like I said this is my second fan so did this at the first signs of noise . At the moment runs very quiet like new still have the side off on the stove and all is good

Regards

9. Pascal_Maertens

Pascal_Maertens
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Mont-Laurier, Qc
    Only if you ever open your panel, I would really like that you send me some picture of this at pmaertens@msn.com thank you

10. gusto

gusto
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Northwest Territories
  11. Pascal_Maertens

Pascal_Maertens
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Mont-Laurier, Qc
  12. gusto

gusto
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Northwest Territories
    Pascal

Picture on post #4 like I said removed the fan and drilled two small 1.5mm ( the only small drill bit I had) so I can lube the sleeve bearings I can try to make you a little video by the fan motor and the only noise is the combustion noise

13. Pascal_Maertens

Pascal_Maertens
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Mont-Laurier, Qc
    thank you so much for sharing your experience.