Piazzetta thermostat seems to have stopped working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DDJR

Mar 20, 2015
western ma
The thermostat, which is just a long wire that plugs into the back of the pellet stove, is not registering. Usually when I hit the set button, I can set the temperature, and the stove will heat the room to that temperature and it will say "ok". But it never gets to okay anymore, it only shows the clock. I have unplugged the thermostat and plug it back in but that does nothing. Any ideas?

Just the probe? If no dealer handy, could try setting it up on a regular thermostat ... have to check the manual for requirements.

Strange if it's just the thermostat wire. I'd stop at your stove dealer that sold you the PIazzetta and borrow a thermo wire to check. If it's not the wire, but the board, then perhaps a full reset will bring things back to life. Also read the Piazzetta sticky at the top of the forum and drop a line to Pascal who wrote it if you run out of ideas to try.

The thermostat, which is just a long wire that plugs into the back of the pellet stove, is not registering. Usually when I hit the set button, I can set the temperature, and the stove will heat the room to that temperature and it will say "ok". But it never gets to okay anymore, it only shows the clock. I have unplugged the thermostat and plug it back in but that does nothing. Any ideas?
I think you would get an alarm if the thermistor NTC is not connected (open circuit) , should be an option display ,display time or temperature

Later
gusto

I've been experiencing similar gremlins with my Piazzetta Sabrina stove not being able to regulate thermostat settings as well. In fact, at this point I don't think the stove is even responding to different power level settings either.

The dealer first tried to remedy the problem by updating the stove's firmware. However, when that didn't work, they replaced the motherboard. Since replacing the motherboard, I've been getting an alert on the control panel indicating "NO NC", which suggests the thermostat and the motherboard are not communicating.

Also be advised, since I own two Piazzetta stoves, I tried swapping out the thermostat wire/plug to no avail.

Now that Harman finally offers a European style stove, I'm seriously thinking of dumping both of my Piazzettas while they're still under warranty and the distributor is offering to reimburse me. :-(

I've found that if I twist the plug at the end of the wire where it plugs in, I can get it to work. So a short in the wire. North of the quantum, you have the same problem TWICE and both thermostats are faulty?? Yeesh... These stoves are pretty expensive to have such cheap parts...

HI All, New member here owner of a Piazzetta Monia for 3 years now. Just found the forum and lots of interesting infos.
Now regarding the problem, just a thought, I think that you are in clock mode. You nedd to switch to temperature mode.
Look at the manual to go back to Temp mode: hit and hold power+ button for 6 seconds then scroll with the power+ button until you get the mode display. Select temperature mode.
Hope it is that simple !
Marc

HI All, New member here owner of a Piazzetta Monia for 3 years now. Just found the forum and lots of interesting infos.
Now regarding the problem, just a thought, I think that you are in clock mode. You nedd to switch to temperature mode.
Look at the manual to go back to Temp mode: hit and hold power+ button for 6 seconds then scroll with the power+ button until you get the mode display. Select temperature mode.
Hope it is that simple !
Marc
DDRJ, Sorry, I did not saw your last post.
Easy fix then, cut the wire after the break and install a new RCA jack. A few inches of missing wire should not affect too much the value of the resistance.
Good luck.
Marc

Never heard back from DDJR , to see if actually was a stove problem or a finger problem . Had some glitches when moving the NTC thermistor from the back of the stove (short wire) to the living room upstairs but could not replicate the problem my suspicion is with the 5.5mm connector (stove side or sensor side) interfacing the stove to the thermistor .From info on the italian forums on pellet stoves the Micronova control board seems fairly bullet proof and yours was reprogrammed and then replaced .
DDJR you beat me to it I was going to send the reply last nigth . I kept the original thermistor and used the a chinese 10K NTC thermistor with the long wire extension

Later

if you want the external thermostat to take charge of the temperature and the stove you have to lower the temperature on the original stove thermostat to minimum the highest thermostat is the on who controls the stove !

DDRJ, Sorry, I did not saw your last post.
Easy fix then, cut the wire after the break and install a new RCA jack. A few inches of missing wire should not affect too much the value of the resistance.
Good luck.
Marc
Hi Marc, found this thread via search engine and just registered after reading your answer about the probe connector being a RCA jack. My question is: can I use any RCA terminated probe or at least with the same resistance?

He may not be around any longer his last post was Feb. 2017