Pilot light misbehavior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toplung

Mar 26, 2017
Arcata, CA
I have a Mendota gas fireplace insert that is not properly functioning. Specifically, the pilot light will not stay lit after I have turned on the fireplace and run it for a while. However, the pilot stays on indefinitely if I don't turn on the burner. The thermocouple appears to be correctly positioned in the flame but beyond that observation, I am stuck. Having read other posts regarding the user unfriendliness of these gas inserts, I am reluctant to replace the thermocouple since I really don't know it that is the problem. Also, I have called the store from where I bought the insert several years ago and requested a service call to fix this problem. After being charged $175 for a service call lasting less than an hour and not having the problem fixed, I am not inclined to call them back. Any advice anyone can give me would be much appreciated.