Pilot/ on/ off dial doesn't "pop"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

David12c

Dec 3, 2017
Montgomery ny
I have an old hearthstone (sterling) propane gas stove that when lighting the pilot this season, lit fine, but the actual dial after depression and holding for a minute, refused to pop back out so I could dial it to the "on" position. It eventually did release on its own ( within the minute or two of me checking the thermostat ) but since it didn't "pop" immediately(did it twice) like it has in the past, I shut it all down again. Any thoughts on what needs to be replaced?

I haven't encountered that symptom before, but I'd guess that the regulator head needs to be replaced.
The spring may be worn out...

I haven't encountered that symptom before, but I'd guess that the regulator head needs to be replaced.
The spring may be worn out...
Thank you. I've been searching, but to no avail. I appreciate the quick response.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is possible it just gummed up a bit. A tiny bit of something along the lines of PB Blaster or silicon and working it up and down might solve problem. I run into something similar on old dial indicators.

Reactions: DAKSY
it is possible it just gummed up a bit. A tiny bit of something along the lines of PB Blaster or silicon and working it up and down might solve problem. I run into something similar on old dial indicators.
Thank you. I was concerned because of the warning "If the knob does not pop out when released, stop and immediately call your service technician" sounds pretty serious with the "immediately" but there currently is no gas going to the unit. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

it should pop up any time it is turned from start up to run positions with or with out the gas on. Generally when lighting the pilot light you have to hold it down in that position. Those long butane powered grill lighters are the cats meow for pilot lights.