Pin Cherry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burns good. Rots fast.

Pin cherry does that have a smooth an shiney bark?

I am interested in this topic.
Pin cherry trees are one of the few trees that grow great here.
Plus if you leave a good stump they will grow right back pretty quickly.
They come back as a bush but very tall.
If you want firewood any time soon you must stay on top of them to make it put it's energy into one to three shoots.

I find that Pin Cherry, Fire Cherry, and the edible cherry all seem to rot easily. They seem pretty hard when fresh, but I haven't burnt any.

I'm planting some Pin Cherry as a "recovery" tree in fields. It grows fast, and everything I have read is that the wood is very light, so I believe it will be less BTUs than Black Cherry, probably halfway between a cottonwood and black cherry.

Pin Cherry = Fire Cherry = Prunus Pennsylvanicus

If I didn't have pin cherry trees all over my property I sure wouldn't ever plant them.
They are the first trees tent catapillars nest in here.

I have burned pin cherry.
I wouldn't want to heat my house all Winter on it but it makes great Fall and Spring heat that will not overheat my house.
I burned a mix of Chinese Elm and Poplar all Winter this year.
First time in several years that I did not burn simple pallets all Winter.
About ten Winters ago I bought a load of cherry from an orchard that was taken out.
The next Winter I burned up a 30 yard dumpster of lumber cut-offs from a local truss company plus the tail end of the cherry.

The easiest of all wood to burn is pallets.
I plan to build a big wood shed this Summer then early next Spring I will start cutting down the pin cherry trees to see how well I can get them to re-grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.