Plumbing help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickdavis

Aug 31, 2019
SW MO
I'm building a new house with an owb and am installing radiant floor heat, a heat exchanger in the duct work and plate heat exchanger for hot water. I have 3 zones for the floor heat, each has multiple loops. I think I need to run the incoming hot line thru the hot water plate first, then the plenum heat exchanger then the radiant heat next since it runs the coolest. I think I can run them in series or do I need to do parallel? I'm having a hard time deciding where to put all the pumps, valves, mixing valves etc. The house is 2000 sq ft down and 1000 up with a 1200 sq ft garage that has the infloor heat. 4 people using hot water. Any suggestions where to look for a complete diagram or a company I can pay to draw one up? I ordered an Acme wood boiler. I know, not liked by most, but theyre somewhat local and some friends have em and like em. Was going to go woodmaster but no one would return a call or email about local dealers in my area. Thanks in advance

A whole system from scratch is a lot to cover in a forum thread, especially one with that many different things going on.

A decent dealer should be able to provide guidance - have you asked the one you bought from? That would be my first ask. Or your friends? Eyes-on local input should be helpful.

Not knowing the heat load on each of your emitters (do you know that?), I might run the plenum exchanger first. Typically the highest load. And in-floor last, yes, and it should likely be pressurized and have a heat exchanger & mixing setup. A primary-secondary setup might be the way to go overall.

Hope you have good underground piping? Size & type?

Your HVAC contractor should be heavily involved in this design phase. It's not something you want to get wrong.

Reactions: maple1