Ponderosa Wood Stove with 3 Dampers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kacccd

Dec 12, 2016
Virginia
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forums (lots of good info). This might seem like a very trivial or curiosity question. I've been using a Ponderosa wood stove for many years now (inherited from my grandfather, so it's old - I'm 62). Never had any problems - works great. The stove has 3 dampers on the door - two towards the bottom part of the door spaced equally across and one on top spaced equally across. The 3 together make a triangle. I generally use the bottom 2 dampers and keep the top one closed with no problems. I'm curious if there is any functional reason for having 3 dampers (or was it just the way they built them years ago). Any thoughts or history on this stove?

Well first off you should post some pics to help us better understand your stove. Next those are not dampers they are air intakes. Dampers on stoves go after the firebox in the smoke stream. I would say the bottom 2 are your primary air and the top one is for some secondary air. It will probably not do much unless it dupms right onto a baffle or something. I also see them allot on coal stoves to burn off the coal gas.

The upper is probably secondary air. If so, try starting the stove with all three open. Then close down the lower 2 as the fire gets going. How far you close them down will depend on the wood. Close down the upper when the fire is in the coaling stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.