Pool Boiler for House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zachhamel

Dec 22, 2013
Hyndford Ontario
Hey Folks,

New to this site, seems great so far, hoping I can get a couple informative answers on outdoor boilers. A little background: I live in Eastern Ontario where it gets pretty cold, with temperatures commonly hitting minus 25 celcius. I live in the country in an 1870s log house with stick framed addition. I gutted the place and insulated well, but it is still fairly drafty in the log part. I installed new ductwork and a 98% eff. lpg furnace, but the price of propane has me spending roughly $500 a month for a 900 sq. foot house. Anyhow indoor woodstove is not an option and can't afford new outdoor boiler, but was offered a barely used outdoor wood pool heater. Seeing as I have a sawmill and near unlimited amount of pine, spruce and otherwise useless wood slabs I figured installing the boiler into an insulated shed and running pex to an exchanger in my ductwork could potentially save me thousands. Only question would be if the pool boilers are near enough to residential boilers to be worth putting the time and expense into installing it or should I save for a proper boiler? Also wondering about hooking it up to my existing hot water tank. Sorry for the long post, 24 with new house and new business is stretching funds very tight just looking to find the best way to stay warm and still be able to eat. Thanks in advance

Does it have the secondary combustion air like the ones in the link you posted?

I don't think you'll find many people on here with wood-fired pool heaters. Post some pics of the unit and model number and we can help you. The unit may be unpressureized and if it's all stainless well then you have something. If it's free, well it's FREE!

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.