Portland Maine info....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTguy9230

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2011
Northwest CT
i think we,re going to be trekking north and was hoping
someone could give me a little info on places to stay
in the Portland area...we are going to be in the Harbor district if
that sounds correct ???

thanks in advance !

I expect you are visiting the Old Port area. There are a couple of expensive places on Commerical Street which is right in the Old Port and on the waterfront. The Holiday Inn by the bay is about 4 blocks walk to the Old port. Most of the other chains are in So Portand near the mall or at the airport which are both about a 15 minute ride into town. There is also a cluster of lower priced motels along tunrpike at the westbrook exit. Be aware the streets in Portland are not grids and its easy to get lost.

Generally its best to park in one of the parking garages and walk as street parking is tough to find.

If its a nice day and you like to walk, there is a long walking path that runs right along the water along the base of the Eastern Promenade. It starts over near the cruise ship port. Only do it on nice day as the wind off the water can be real cold. The path hooks up to the loop path around Back bay, which is nice place to see lots of different birds. Even if you dont like to walk, its worth a visit to the eastern and western promenades in car. If its a clear day, the view of the white moutains 90 miles away from the western prom is nice. I am not sure if the Portland Observatory is open in the winter but its worht checking out on clear day. Its in a rough neighborhood but not an issue during the day.

One thing about the old Port, its a nice place to visit during the day and early evening, but late at night it can and does get rowdy especially when the bars close down. Unless you like public urination and broken beer bottles, clear out before11 PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.