Possible asbestos around fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fudge2415

Jan 14, 2023
Canada
Purchased a home built in the early 70s and I was looking into using my wood fireplace when I noticed this white insulation looking stuff. Not sure if it’s asbestos or not.

image.jpg

Purchased a home built in the early 70s and I was looking into using my wood fireplace when I noticed this white insulation looking stuff. Not sure if it’s asbestos or not.

View attachment 307735
It's possible that it's asbestos but it's probably just ceramic wool

Reactions: Fudge2415
There's no way of knowing for sure without a labratory test.
In my town the local government runs a lab and you can take your samples in to be tested. If you're worried I would find something similar so that you're sure.

Yes, given the time period it's better to assume it has asbestos in it until proven it doesn't.

Home Depot used to sell kits for testing, it was basically a sample bag and a self addressed mailer. The company would have a tech look at it under a PLM (polarized light microscope) and make a determination and then dispose of it.