Possible Quadra Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
Looking for some insight on the Quadra Fire Brand of Stove....the one I think we have decided on is the Quadra Fire Castille. Any thoughts or experiences with the brand would be helpful Thank you all.

I have the santafe which is the same stove with a different dress. I would say that I absolutely love it. The stove runs off of a thermostat, and I would highly recommend getting digital one so you can have set backs at night or during the day when you are not home. The stove is truly a set it and forget it. I set the thermostat, keep the stove filled with pellets and clean the ash out and wipe the glass down with a moist paper towel once a week.

There are lots of great stoves out there and this is not the only one but I love my quad and would buy another one if I had too. when we went to look at the stoves we went with the intent of getting the Castile but ended up with the Santafe because of the following reasons, they are the the same stove with different outsides, the cost, and the santafe holds 10 more pounds of pellets in the hopper. We also got the fake log set without the top twig. the fake logs supposedly disrupt the air wash on the glass but after runn 10+ bags both with and without the log set I see no difference on how the ash builds up on the glass.

if you have anymore question about my stove just ask.

TK

We own a Quad Mt Vernon AE. Have only had it a week and half so can't be to helpful. I did do alot of shopping around though and chose the quad brand for the easy maintance.

moralleper said:
I have the santafe which is the same stove with a different dress. I would say that I absolutely love it. The stove runs off of a thermostat, and I would highly recommend getting digital one so you can have set backs at night or during the day when you are not home. The stove is truly a set it and forget it. I set the thermostat, keep the stove filled with pellets and clean the ash out and wipe the glass down with a moist paper towel once a week.

There are lots of great stoves out there and this is not the only one but I love my quad and would buy another one if I had too. when we went to look at the stoves we went with the intent of getting the Castile but ended up with the Santafe because of the following reasons, they are the the same stove with different outsides, the cost, and the santafe holds 10 more pounds of pellets in the hopper. We also got the fake log set without the top twig. the fake logs supposedly disrupt the air wash on the glass but after runn 10+ bags both with and without the log set I see no difference on how the ash builds up on the glass.

if you have anymore question about my stove just ask.

TK

Excellent! I know all stoves have their little "quirks" but for overall satisfaction is what I was asking for. Thats the kind of "review" I like to hear. Originally I was going to go with a Breckwell from another dealer that hasnt been in business long and he was "skirting" the infamous question of if they stand by their stoves with service etc....I didnt care for his answers. I want decent service..I dont even mind paying for the service but I want it to be good service. Thats when I saw other Quad owners on here....and just so happens a stove dealer and installer right up the road from me thats been in the business for 25+ years sells none other than Quads lol. So...I knew I could get an insight here on the brand. I'm glad you are having good luck with it...I was impressed with model we looked at. My wife wants the Castille for the looks(uh boy) lol. But for the space I am heating it would be the perfect stove. i cant wait. With any luck I hope to have it in within a couple weeks.
Thank you very much for your response and insight, I appreciate it....and its great to know if I have questions that I have answers here. thanks again.

jmlarson said:
We own a Quad Mt Vernon AE. Have only had it a week and half so can't be to helpful. I did do alot of shopping around though and chose the quad brand for the easy maintance.

I agree on the easy maintenance! The guy at the stove shop was running through everything with me....very easy cleaning/maintenance....99% sure we are going with the Quad....the local service from the stove shop is whats selling me to....hearing lots of good things about them...

We love our Castile, going on season three using it as primary heat. I've replaced door gaskets and the combustion blower so far, the gaskets are fairly normal and the blower was updated under warrenty with no problem. I do scrape the pot and clean the glass once a day and emply the ash pan every couple days, like I said it is running full time now. Note that I didn't have great luck with the log sets, went through two sets the first year and now go without becasue they broke so easily. Now I have a steel cut out of pine trees that I made in front of the pot to break up the look of the fire a bit, looks nice.

GotzTheHotz said:
We love our Castile, going on season three using it as primary heat. I've replaced door gaskets and the combustion blower so far, the gaskets are fairly normal and the blower was updated under warrenty with no problem. I do scrape the pot and clean the glass once a day and emply the ash pan every couple days, like I said it is running full time now. Note that I didn't have great luck with the log sets, went through two sets the first year and now go without becasue they broke so easily. Now I have a steel cut out of pine trees that I made in front of the pot to break up the look of the fire a bit, looks nice.

Thats great news....especially since I purchased the Castille an hour ago lol. They will install on Jan 9th. Cant wait! Thank you very much for the input...I appreciate it....

Ask about the combustion blower, I believe it was an issue at some point. If your stove is new, I would assume it has been updated, but won't hurt to check.

That was the Mt Vernon AE that had comb blower issues.

Not to argue jtp, but my dealer and others had issues with the combustion blower on the Castile model a few years back. Like I said, it was replaced with no question by Quad, I had issues with combustion and the newer blower fixed the problem asap.

I have a Castile and we were sold on the looks. It has the white powder coat finish, ease of cleaning & maintenance, simple to use, and will burn any pellet we have thrown at it (even corn mix). The only downside was the interior ironwork. Rust seems to be a problem with this model. We have made it a habit every season of sanding and painting the interior before the next burning season as all the iron metal surfaces start to rust. Other than that it has been a great performer. The only functional issue we had was pellet "bridging", and it only took a call to our dealer who was able to talk us through the process of loosening the auger motor-allowing the bridged pellets to fall through the chute (this was very simple and can happen if too long pellets are used).

The only other item I would inquire about is the Lopi Leyden pellet stove. It has a similar look to the Castile - but I'm not sure of the quirks on this model. Hopefully someone could chime in or set this up as a separate post. I'll include a pic of the Lopi Leyden as I had seen it at a recent visit to one of my hearth shops.

Attachments

• 104385.jpg
    104385.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 520
Status
Not open for further replies.