Poulan Pro 50cc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I just got a new to me Poulan Pro 50cc for free. I know they're not the best, but I barely cut much wood at all, It's way lighter than my old Homelite, and should do just fine.

anything I should do with this saw, change, any tweaks?

Last edited:
Muffler is an empty can - not much modding to do except open exhaust port some and pull spark screen - need to retune afterwards. If it has never been tuned, it is probably lean from the factory - will need to fatten/more rich on L, H and adjust idle.

Muffler is an empty can - not much modding to do except open exhaust port some and pull spark screen - need to retune afterwards. If it has never been tuned, it is probably lean from the factory - will need to fatten/more rich on L, H and adjust idle.
Thats what i did to a orphaned Poulan Pro that showed up on my steps. i fix and hoard saws so friends drop them off at my door at times. Though no one has taken credit for this one yet,turned out to have a primer issue.The saw would flood while sitting.I plugged the primer line in the tank and it has been flawless since then.
You may need to make a tool to adjust the carb,mine has the splined EPA jets. I use a small piece of copper tubing and lightly taped it over the spline till it would slide on and off easy.New tool to tune carbs Yea

will recommend to get a pro chain from Oregon company and you never will feel that is a cheap saw. Carburetor will need some tuning if never done. But still, you will want to tune it to you conditions now. It will go thru bar oil like crazy and no way of adjustment for it but the good is, always has good lubrication. The carburetor tool, you can get it on Amazon for $10.00. Makes it easy to turn having the right tool like in anything else. I do a lot of work with mine and i love it. I use it more than the Husq cause it is lighter plus i deal with softwood. the full chisel pro chain makes it a different saw compare out the box with the anti kickback chain. good luck you will like it.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
There are a few articles online regarding increasing the plug gap and changing the carb settings. My 50 came, imo, with a pretty aggressive chain- or what one would consider normal for non-homeowner chainsaws. I was so impressed with my 50 (price & quality) that I purchased a second unit.

Finally had a chance to cut some wood with the new saw, started up fairly easily, but had to let it warm up a little bit on half choke. Used it for about 15 minutes but had to always give it a little bit of throttle so wouldn't die. Every time I put this saw on the ground it stopped running.

The saw cut fairly well at full throttle, but there was occasional hesitation. I was thinking about running some carb cleaner through it while it's still running, then readjusting the carburetor.

Run Sea Foam mixed in the gas for several tanks that will likely clear up the problem.

Spraying carb cleaner in throat while running is not advisable. It washes oil off the P&C and may cause scoring. Plus, it does nothing for the carb. Carb needs tuning. Could be as simple as idle screw need 1/2-1 turn CW. But L & H have to be rechecked.
Seafoam in fuel may help-dissolving varnish in tiny passages.

Just tune the carburetor.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Fresh spark plug, fresh air cleaner then tune the carburetor (or have a local shop do it for you). I thought my spark plug was fine (it appeared so visually) but with a new one, gapped correctly my saw starts and runs and lot better.

If you think the carb needs cleaned then pull it off and clean it on the workbench. I wouldn't recommend spraying carb cleaner into it while on the saw.

Last but not least make sure you are using fresh fuel thats mixed correctly.