Poulan Pro exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMoreCityForMe

Nov 8, 2014
West of Denver, CO
I really like my little Poulan Pro 4812 - except for the exhaust. It gets in my face which is really annoying during a long day of cutting and probably isn't healthy to be breathing in. It's also annoying to clean off my skin.

Is there a good way to divert the exhaust away from my face? With minimal cost? Or is it a symptom of an issue with the saw? I only have some very, very basic knowledge of small engines but am willing to learn more.

And no, buying a new saw is not a solution for this problem :)

A problem with all of the saws these days with the mufflers on the front. Why I like my old big Poulan with the muffler on the side where God intended them to be.

Reactions: rkshed
Is this your muffler? You could take a piece of sheet metal 4" x 13" and wrap/screw around entire muffler - effectively putting exhaust 2.5" in front of case chassis. Would decrease bar length 2.5". You could leave it full shroud at the top and tin snip out at 45* down to the case and get bar length back but may get more face exhaust.

Poulan 4218 muffler.JPG

Modify it!:cool: Cap current location, grind/drill hole on side and tack weld sheet metal deflector on directing gases in direction of your choosing. If this is beyond you have a friend help or do it for you. It is pretty simple if you take your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.