POWER VENTING WOOD BOILER ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KTEL

Jun 28, 2009
NY
Would like to install boiler this summer/fall, chimney options are limited and prefer to go with an indoor boiler.

I am thinking along the lines of a Alaska vent such as used with coal boilers.

Any experience out there, or is this a dead issue for wood boilers.

Thanks.

Pretty much a dead issue. The only boiler that vents horizontal is a Garn. How they do it is a topic of much discussion on this board. All of the other wood boilers will require a properly installed chimney that drafts as required for the boiler you pick. Per fire code you can't power vent any solid fueled appliance since power is required to properly vent. If you loose power you have problems.

Having good draft is critical even with the more sophisticated boilers. You don't want to spend the long dollar on the boiler and cheap out on the chimney. It'll cause more headaches than it's worth...

Have you got an existing chimney for an oil burner that could be used for a wood unit, and then use a power vent on your oil unit?

Yah, Wood guns are awesome... I'd have bought one, but I had to borrow money as it was for my Eko, so I thought I'd better not spend too much... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.