Pre-1900 Masonry Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ne87565

Oct 2, 2019
maryland
All,
My chimney is made of pretty soft porous brick and a lime based mortar from way back in the day. I worked with "limeworks" to design a mix for repointing and rebricking (probably about 3.5 NHL). I have finished the last of the rebricking which was around the tee connector of the new stainless steel liner system I installed. I have been keeping the new mortar damp for 4-6 days after application, but I also know that for the mortar to fully harden and finish reacting (forming the carbonate crystals) can take months in some cases. My question is this - would having fires in my woodstove and heating this new masonry around the tee connector after this initial curing period interfere in anyway with this chemical process? Any insight would be appreciated and thanks as always.
-N

Maybe this would be helpfull? https://naturalhydrauliclime.net/faqs/ I think heating up and thus drying it would stop the reaction. If it's anything like regular mortar or cement it would get the vast majority of its strength in 28 days (website lists strength at 28 days consisted of 72 hrs of being wet then air dry?) . I dont think it ever fully cures but gets extremely close over time. I think.the longer you wait the better.

28 days minimum. It isnt how dry it is. Its how much christilization has occured.

28 days minimum. It isnt how dry it is. Its how much christilization has occured.
Thanks Ludlow and everyone else who has chimed in. Thanks for the link to that article, I think I had read that before. I know not to rapidly dry the mortar and to keep it damp for ~72 hours. The article says that it "may take anywhere from 28 days - years depending on joint thickness to form maximum strength". The carbonate crystals form as a reaction with carbon dioxide after the mortar has slow dried for a week or so. You all think that heating this masonry (which will be dry) will interfere with the final curing which could take months - year(s)? I was thinking about giving it two weeks before having a fire to ensure that the mortar has dried properly....its starting to get cold in western maryland for the record (LOL).