Pre-buy for next season question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DobieMom

Nov 28, 2010
Eastern Shore of MD
I'm in MD on the Eastern Shore. Getting 'decent' pellets here is rare. I have a shot this summer to do a pre-buy of Greenway pellets. Does $269/ton sound 'reasonable' for this pellet? This is about $15 dollars higher than the price for a ton of WPI (Wood Pellet Co) which have been HORRID this year for ash! Heat has been decent from them. Thanks for your input :)

I'm in MD on the Eastern Shore. Getting 'decent' pellets here is rare. I have a shot this summer to do a pre-buy of Greenway pellets. Does $269/ton sound 'reasonable' for this pellet? This is about $15 dollars higher than the price for a ton of WPI (Wood Pellet Co) which have been HORRID this year for ash! Heat has been decent from them. Thanks for your input :)
If you used 5 tons, that would be 75 bucks more. Isn't it worth 75 bucks to get rid of "HORRID"?

Different regions have different pricing... Not a lot in this area for $269....

Reactions: DobieMom
That's actually not a bad price when you consider Home Depot/Lowes in the Annapolis area were selling Prestos for about $249 in the fall (plus $75 delivery charge). Let mer know if you (and the vendor) are interested in splitting a load. I plan on getting 9 tons for next season.

Up here, Id pay $269 a ton for Greenways... Not much quality under $300 a ton. $269 a ton for Green Supremes from HD and TSC. While not a horrid pellet, I wouldnt buy them buy the tonnage...

I wonder what kind of deal you could get on a flat bed tractor trailer load direct from the manufacturer. I also wonder how many pallets they could fit. Maybe 20?

You could probably get a local farmer to unload it with his tractor. Or ten guys should be able to dump the bags over the side pretty rapidly.

If you get two or three households to participate in the group buy, it could really pay off.

If I was a pellet head and found the pellet you like best I would definitely stock up on them for next year, especially if it's rare to get them....

I wonder what kind of deal you could get on a flat bed tractor trailer load direct from the manufacturer. I also wonder how many pallets they could fit. Maybe 20?

You could probably get a local farmer to unload it with his tractor. Or ten guys should be able to dump the bags over the side pretty rapidly.

If you get two or three households to participate in the group buy, it could really pay off.

Good luck....

Dan

Reactions: GT_Sharp
I get 26 ton on load from mill with there truck, and 24 from a private shipper as his truck has more weight before load. Have to unload in less than hr.

seems a bit high to me, i pay 215 a ton for greenways up here in michigan
TSC here got a load of Pro Pellets in ... had never burned them so only bought 5 bags to try. Course with pellets being in short supply here they were gone by the second day ;( I'd take those over Greenways :) Not bad on fines (I hate ANY fines), minimal ash, pull rod to fire pot pulls clean and easy and showing 320 degrees with the IR temp gun. These pellets come out of MI so doubting I'll ever see a bag again UNLESS I can talk the pellet stove company into getting them! I'm trying!!

TSC here got a load of Pro Pellets in ... had never burned them so only bought 5 bags to try. Course with pellets being in short supply here they were gone by the second day ;( I'd take those over Greenways :) Not bad on fines (I hate ANY fines), minimal ash, pull rod to fire pot pulls clean and easy and showing 320 degrees with the IR temp gun. These pellets come out of MI so doubting I'll ever see a bag again UNLESS I can talk the pellet stove company into getting them! I'm trying!!
My husband and I too grabbed 5 bags of pro pellets on Friday night from TSC here in chester, ny. We cleaned out the stove and threw a bag in. Within 2 hours he adjusted the stove down because it had become so warm throughout the house including upstairs. We went back yesterday and thankfully they had 3 pallets left, and we purchased 30 bags and put them away for the next burning season. I will be researching dealers in my areas that sell pro pellets and try to pre order at least 3-4 tons.

My husband and I too grabbed 5 bags of pro pellets on Friday night from TSC here in chester, ny. We cleaned out the stove and threw a bag in. Within 2 hours he adjusted the stove down because it had become so warm throughout the house including upstairs. We went back yesterday and thankfully they had 3 pallets left, and we purchased 30 bags and put them away for the next burning season. I will be researching dealers in my areas that sell pro pellets and try to pre order at least 3-4 tons.
Good find mmj :) Wish I could find more of them around here! Looks like I'll be getting Greenways on a pre-order...rather be safe than sorry for next year. TSC said they didn't think they will be getting anymore pellets this season. My brother has a Harman (I forget the model), is burning Greenways and hit his with the IR gun and it read 385 so apparently I need to clean what I thought was my already clean stove :) Didn't have the IR gun when I tried the bag of Greenways darnit!

I looked into that - they don't sell to the public.

Good find mmj :) Wish I could find more of them around here! Looks like I'll be getting Greenways on a pre-order...rather be safe than sorry for next year. TSC said they didn't think they will be getting anymore pellets this season. My brother has a Harman (I forget the model), is burning Greenways and hit his with the IR gun and it read 385 so apparently I need to clean what I thought was my already clean stove :) Didn't have the IR gun when I tried the bag of Greenways darnit!
Yeah, my husband went to tsc yesterday to get a garden cart, and he said they had about a ton and a half left. He came home with 25 bags and went back for another 25 bags. We stored them away for next year with the other 30 bags. They told him this is it for the season until September. Hopefully they bring them back next year. The reviews for them are pretty good. I was told to start calling the distributors for pellets in April to get on the customer list for pre-orders. Then I can pick and choose other brands to buy.

I looked into that - they don't sell to the public.

I checked into Country Boy White Lightning, and when you go onto their web site, they will sell you pellets but the freight is prohibitive. I did not work the numbers to see how it would work out if several folks were splitting the freight. One fine pellet, though.

...they will sell you pellets but the freight is prohibitive.
I did not work the numbers to see how it would work out if several folks were splitting the freight.

You're right..
It's really a tough deal, and your savings relative to the work/shipping in the long run would
probly be minimal.. That's of course if you can find a brand you all like, and, can be purchased direct.

You have to consider, the tractor trailer driver is going to want to make ONE stop, and it better be
a fast unload. You have to line up a forklift... and if you aren't fairly good with one,
plan on some damage.. you need one person to want ~22 tons in his yard..
then you have to get everyone to pick up their purchase.. And if it was not offloaded at your place,
how are you going to get your 5-6 tons home? Who is paying for the forklift?
It really wouldn't be that "hassle free" believe me....

That's just my opinion, though.
Dan

Oh, I don't think I could do it but wanted to point out, contrary to a previous post, that you can buy pellets direct from a mill if you wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.