Pressurized Storage Pipe Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Do you guys who use 500 or 1000 gallon popane tanks used pressurized storage, go with 1" or 1 1/4" supplies and returns from them?

It depends on how many GPM you are trying to flow through it. Most LP tanks have only one 1-1/4" threaded connection (where the fill fitting attaches) but you can add up the additional 3/4" connections. Tee them together for additional flow.

It is also possible to increase a 3/4 to 1 or 1-1/4". I buy copper adapters to go from 3/4 NPT to 1" copper, or 1-1/4" copper. Yes you will have a small pressure drop at that restriction, about what some reduced port ball valves have :)

Here is a 3/4 MIP to 1" copper adapter. I use these when I turn an electric water heater tank into a buffer tank for geo, or whatever. Connect the top two 3/4" ports on the water heater together with these fittings to get increases flow. Remember to remove the dip tube when you connect the H&C;on top, together.

Then use the bottom element hole for the second 1" connection point. It's a cheap way to turn an off the shelf water heater tank into a high flow storage. And the upper element can be an electric backup element.

Some water heater manufacturers offer a fitting to use the element hole as a connection port. I know that plastic Marathon tank has a special fitting like that, available since it is an odd thread on those plastic tanks.

hr

Attachments

• MVC-036F.JPG
    MVC-036F.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 218
Status
Not open for further replies.