pressurized storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hayrack

Oct 28, 2008
central maine
I am looking for a 500 or 1000 gallon propane tank for pressurized storage if anyone can help. The propane dealers in central Maine want nothing to do with selling a used propane tank for liability reasons apparentley.

I've got several for $250 here but here is in West Michigan. Yes it is very hard to get them as dealers don't like to sell them because of the liability and the scrap dealers don't want them either. I wonder where they go.
leaddog

how many do you have leaddog? i'm in nh looking for storage? what does an empty tank wiegh?

8nrider said:
how many do you have leaddog? i'm in nh looking for storage? what does an empty tank wiegh?

I have about 30 -500gal and they weight about 1000lbs and I can load them. If you need more info PM me
leaddog

You might want to do some searches on what has to be done to clean out used propane tanks. For me the cleaning process would end up likely costing me more than going all-in and buying new tanks. So I picked up two new 500 gallon tanks for $1300 a piece. Not cheap. But if you buy used tanks for $250 (which is a great price!) and have to pay $800-1000 to move them around, have them cut open, cleaned, rewelded, etc. you don't hardly save any money. If you can do the work yourself it's another story. Just my two cents...

500 gallon tanks weigh about 1,000 lbs and 1,000 gallon tanks weigh 1,800 lbs.

When I did some reading on mercaptin (spelling?) I wasn't so sure it would just rinse out of the fittings with cleansers. But I could be wrong. I have heard of folks cutting the ends off and pressure washing the insides. That's what pushed me to buy new tanks....

leaddog said:
I've got several for $250 here but here is in West Michigan. Yes it is very hard to get them as dealers don't like to sell them because of the liability and the scrap dealers don't want them either. I wonder where they go.
leaddog

They get tested, repainted, and re-sold to someone else.

I'd like to nominate this thread for the #3 best resurrection of the year. It was just THREE days short of a full year old. Such luck....

And one year later I just finished installing my tank and am now working on insulating it. I was fortunate and had a 1,000 gallon tank and two 500's given to me. I installed the 1,000 and two of my friends installed the 500's. I will try to post a couple of pictures later.

Status
Not open for further replies.