Preway B142-EM Type C Firebrick Replacement Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

49er11

Dec 1, 2022
Pine Grove
Hi,

I have a Preway Zero Clearance B142-EM Type C fireplace with cracked firebricks that need replacing. My issue is that the back wall is fitted with bricks that are larger than the standard 9"x4" that I've been finding online. My bricks are all over 10"x10" and stacked in two rows of three. I can't seem to find the manual online and assume the business has closed since there is so little information online about them. Any advice on what would be the best option to replace them? I have attached pictures. Thanks for any tips.

20221130_154528 (768x1024).jpg 20221130_170318 (768x1024).jpg 20221130_170348 (768x1024).jpg 20221130_170241 (1024x768).jpg

The bricks are cracked, but not crumbling yet. They may make it for a few more seasons if treated nicely. refractory cement could be used to repair them.
Large firebrick is sold, though they may need to be cut down to fit. Here is one source.

The bricks are cracked, but not crumbling yet. They may make it for a few more seasons if treated nicely. refractory cement could be used to repair them.
Large firebrick is sold, though they may need to be cut down to fit. Here is one source.
Thank you for the link. I was worried I might have to cut them myself because I'm worried about getting a perfect cut with a skilsaw. I do have some of that Rutland's caulking so maybe I'll use that to try and get me through the season. Thanks for the reply.