price increase 17% by St.Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletfan

Jul 24, 2008
NY
local retailer tells me that St. Croix increased their prices by 17% after product order.
Sounds to be fishy to me. Looks more like Price gauging.
Maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone have an inside info???????

St. Croix sent out a memo informing dealers of the price increase a couple of weeks ago. They have not had an increase in 2 years. Prices are going up due to steel and energy increases. Some models of the corn stoves did not go up in an effort to clear out inventory during these times of high corn prices. Price increases are effective Aug 1 and immediatly on items not in stock (which may only be the Revolution furnace).

St. Croix has been a very good company for me as a dealer to work with and there product is very solid as well. I carry other brands and St. Croix is and has been top notch.

That certainly is a major increase!

I don't think that kind of increase can be blamed on energy prices, because it does not take that much energy to bend and cut steel.

BUT, steel prices have gone through the roof - almost directly in line with the sinking US dollar. So it is not really a rise in price they are seeking, but it is called INFLATION and it is due to the lack of faith in the credit of the US Government and Corporations.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, some smaller companies are paying $1500 a ton for steel. A few years ago it was $400 a ton.

The good news is this - like high oil prices, steel is expected to fall....at some point. Some forecasts are for prices 1/2 of what they are today. So Eventemp (St. Croix) may be able to hold the line......after this....if we get lucky.

This news shows the foolishness of the reports we hear about low inflation! The only thing that has not gotten more expensive are flat screen TVs

Evan prices of the Chinesium you buy at Wally World is going up. The costs of materials are the same world wide and when you throw a weak US dollar and high shipping costs in prices rise on imports as well. I don't think St. Croix sources too much off shore like American Energy does.

I understand that every Manufacturer has to increase it's prices. That's not the problem. It's the timing!!!!!!

I'm a Retailer myself, but please......

Don't have the Retailer close a deal with Customer and than have the Retailer come back to the Customer to ask afterwards for more money.

That's just what I'm irritated about. It's just........

Any reputable Manufacturer gives it's Retailers in a timely manner an Anouncement for price increases.

There is always a cutoff date of Orders with the old price.

In this particular case, Manufacturer decides that he wants to increase the retail prices by August 1st. and could care less of already placed orders by Dealer.

That's the picture I get from my Deal. It shows complete disregard for Retailer as well as the Customer or did I get the wrong info????.

Well, sort of damned if they do and if they don't. Like everyone else, they probably didn't count on making and selling as many stoves - and maybe they thought the prices of steel would moderate - then they were caught with their pants down (so to speak). If you are paying double for steel, it would be tough to give retailers one last chance to buy.

In reality, we should blame the fiscal policies of this government for the increase. Heck, corn was $7 a dozen at the local market - that is fresh local corn.....used to be $2, then $4 - now $7.

Those pieces of paper (dollars) just don't buy much anymore.

I do agree with you that orders received and scheduled should be at the price they were received (and accepted) at.

Status
Not open for further replies.