Primary loop pump location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim, in your install manual it shows the supply starting at the bottom bung with black iron for atl least 6 ft then a ball valve ,circ ball valve, followed by a flow check at least 1 ft downstream of the circ. that will eat up at least 6 ft ,when you change metals , a dialectric fitting, in the same vicinity, i installed 2 t's for inline thermometers, 1 for supply/1 for return. also if you plan to run 200 plus deg the circ should be as close to or if possible below the floor level for npsh reasons. with the thermometers you will see the supply water temps will run about 10deg lower than the thermometer 3/4 up the face of the boiler, after a few hrs with no demand it will equalize.

TCaldwell said:
Jim, in your install manual it shows the supply starting at the bottom bung with black iron for atl least 6 ft then a ball valve ,circ ball valve, followed by a flow check at least 1 ft downstream of the circ. that will eat up at least 6 ft ,when you change metals , a dialectric fitting, in the same vicinity, i installed 2 t's for inline thermometers, 1 for supply/1 for return. also if you plan to run 200 plus deg the circ should be as close to or if possible below the floor level for npsh reasons. with the thermometers you will see the supply water temps will run about 10deg lower than the thermometer 3/4 up the face of the boiler, after a few hrs with no demand it will equalize.

TC - I did not have my manual with me at the office where I posted from. I went home and checked last night, and apparently GARN has changed their instructions significantly. My instruction manual, Rev. 5 08/08, has a very simple line diagram with the supply coming from the TOP 2" bung, dropping down to near the bottom level of the tank, and then horizontally to a pump. No fittings or anything else is shown. The return is shown at the bottome 1.5" bung. I am trying to reach someone at Dectra to clarify their setup intent. Could you post a scan of your instruction diagram?

I have plenty of room to drop the pump to even below floor level of the GARN if need be, as my primary loop will be in my garage, the floor of which is 3' below the shed floor where the GARN is installed.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.