Problem solving older Castile stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Matt washer

Oct 27, 2019
Nj
Hello first time poster here I have an older Quadra fire Castile Pellet Stove. Everything was working fine this year started to make a little louder noise so I turned it off. When I turned it back on the thermostat kicks onso calling for heat and igniter is getting hot but the convection fan isn’t turning on and no pallets or dropping there is a quite noise some thing I think trying to turn on but nothing is happening. I thought there was may be a jam with the pellets so I cleared throat but nothing is jammed. Not sure what I should do or what the problem is anybody could help I would truly appreciate it thank you very much

Is the combustion blower running? Auger motor turning? Convection blower should not come on till the stove gets up to operating temperature?

The fan nor the blower is turning on. Only thing that is working is the igniter is getting hot nothing else is happening. Iam thinking maybe combustion motor. Idk?

See if exhaust motor turns freely by hand. Guessing bearings are going bad or its jammed up with ash.
All the above. Cleaning and lubrication time.

See if exhaust motor turns freely by hand. Guessing bearings are going bad or its jammed up with ash.
They exhaust motor turns freely by hand. So sure what I should do thanks. Iam new at this. I had the pellet stove for 2years n haven’t had to do anything other then clean it

So when the thermostat calls for heat the red "call for heat" light comes on, the igniter gets red hot, but the exhaust motor doesn't come on. That's my understanding of the issue.

If you are handy with a multi-meter I'd check to see if 115 volts are being applied to exhaust motor first since you've already determined that it moves freely. Either the motor is bad, the triac in the control board is bad, or wiring between motor and module has issues. If you build a test cord you could power motor directly to see if it operates ok. If so then it's a module or wiring issue. Maybe try reseating control module in its connector first with power off to stove.

Without the exhaust motor running, stove will not feed pellets.

Reactions: Ssyko
One more thing, does control module have blue flashes when stove is unplugged and plugged back in? Should do this for first minute after plugging back in. More thank likely 6 flashes every 10 seconds, then repeats..... for 1 minute.

Reactions: Ssyko
Keep in mid that 'turning freely' with a low torque shaded pole motor is a relative term. What you belie is free may not be the case. Don't take much internal resistance (bearings or accumulated dirt between the field laminations and the armature) to impede adequate rotation and the control board cannot sense that. It supplies the current and frequency no matter what because it cannmot determine what is happening on the 'other end'. Why maintenance of any biofuel appliance is paramount and why service people make money servicing units.

So when the thermostat calls for heat the red "call for heat" light comes on, the igniter gets red hot, but the exhaust motor doesn't come on. That's my understanding of the issue.

If you are handy with a multi-meter I'd check to see if 115 volts are being applied to exhaust motor first since you've already determined that it moves freely. Either the motor is bad, the triac in the control board is bad, or wiring between motor and module has issues. If you build a test cord you could power motor directly to see if it operates ok. If so then it's a module or wiring issue. Maybe try reseating control module in its connector first with power off to stove.

Without the exhaust motor running, stove will not feed pellets.
Awesome. I really appreciate it helps a lot hopefully I can get this thing figured out before I gets too cold. Going to see if my buddies has a multimeter I’ll give a shot see what happens.