Problem with starting a Quadra-Fire Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RingoesRod

Dec 30, 2021
Ringoes, NJ
Hi All,
Moved into a house about a year ago that has a Quadra-Fire Castile pellet stove, which is a first for me, so please forgive my ignorance. Over the past year, it has seen only light use (not a primary source of heating for house) and has worked well, until now. My wife went to use it last night and couldn't get it to start. With her being even less savvy that I am, I thought (hoped) it would be something simple. Well, perhaps it is, but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

Under normal circumstances, we would usually just hit the "Mode" button on the remote (Model Smart Bat-II), one press for ON, we'd hear a *beep * from presumably the control box, what sounds like a fan kick on, what I believe is the red call light lights up, pellets begin to drop, and soon after, we have fire. When done, hit the Mode button a couple more times for OFF, and it stops feeding, and eventually shuts itself down.

Now, however, when using the remote, there is no beep, no red call light, no fan, dead silence, and nothing happens. Batteries have been replaced, so thinking remote should be fine. If I cycle the power by pulling plug, I get the 6 blue blinks on the control box, fan runs, and after about 15mins it shuts down, sounding "normal" for the most part.

Here's where it gets a bit strange,...with the side panel removed, if I take the remote and hold right up to control box and press the Mode button as if to turn it on, I will hear a *beep* (similar to when it would start normally) but nothing else happens. If I press Mode until off, it beeps again, but still nothing.

Given I can't even rouse the unit with the remote, I'm wondering if the unit needs to relearn the remote, but I have no idea how to initiate that. Beyond that I have no idea what else to check that would account for the remote having no impact on unit!?!?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Rod

It could be the receiver batteries being low. To bypass the thermostat all together, disconnect both thermostat wires from stove (located next to the stove power plug), and replace with a jumper wire or paper clip. If stove fires up then the issue is within your remote. From there read remote manual on how to replace receiver battery(s) and whether a relearn is required.

It could be the receiver batteries being low. To bypass the thermostat all together, disconnect both thermostat wires from stove (located next to the stove power plug), and replace with a jumper wire or paper clip. If stove fires up then the issue is within your remote. From there read remote manual on how to replace receiver battery(s) and whether a relearn is required.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are spot on! Tracing those wires led me to the magic black box of the receiver, which was tucked away just out of sight, and I had no idea it was even there! Replaced the batteries, and it was as simple as that.

Really appreciate the help!

Wishing you a Happy New Year,
Rod