Problems with an Ashley 5660

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tryingitout

Jan 29, 2014
Western Michigan
I am at my wits end with this stove. It belongs to my father, it was just installed this year. The stove runs fine on 1 or 2 if you increase the feed to 3,4 or 5 after in short time it can't burn the pellets fast enough, and they start to build up in the fire pot. Then you have to shut it down to 1 for the fire to burn all the extra or shut it down and clean them out. The stove has a 3" chimney 11' of pipe with 1 clean T, and the fresh air kit installed. He has talked to united stove they have sent him a new board, still does it. I pulled the chimney apart, the blower out and vacuumed everything to make sure it was free of ash. There is one thing that does not make sense to me, that is when the stove is on 1 or 2 the blower to forge the fire appears to be the same as it is on 4,5 and 6. I would think that when you dump more pellets in, it would take more cfm's to burn those pellets. Any one have any ideas, besides throwing this stove out and getting a better one?

Check the door, ash pan, and burnpot gaskets. For the door and ash pan use the dollar bill test. Visual inspection on the burn pot gasket. My US Stove 5660 had a large gap in the burnpot gasket from the factory. I replaced it with some Imperial 5/8" rope gasket.

I also used a length of 1/2" rope gasket to plug the air wash slot. This lets more air flow thru the burnpot.

If you have an AC voltage meter, you can test the exhaust fan voltages to see if it is increasing with each higher heat setting.

As you increase heat level setting, both blowers increase in speed. The increase is obvious with the room air blower and more subtle with the exhaust blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.