Problems with My Harman xxv stove! Need some help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAY75

Jan 7, 2009
Northeast
I thought I was buying the right pellet stove but I guess I was wrong! Since I bought this stove I've had nothing but problems. First an electrical problem, now the auger is making a very annoying loud grinding sound! Does anyone else have this problem?

You purchased a good stove, check auger and motor for any binding maybe something wrapped around the impeller or cam arm bent. Your dealer should be able to trouble shoot for you.

JAY75 said:
I thought I was buying the right pellet stove but I guess I was wrong! Since I bought this stove I've had nothing but problems. First an electrical problem, now the auger is making a very annoying loud grinding sound! Does anyone else have this problem?

Is it still under warranty? If so I`d contact the dealer . If not then,
lets take it from the beginning, has the electrical problem been fixed?

Call the dealer. Don't get discouraged. Harman is a good stove. There is definitely a learning curve to pellet stoves but it sounds like what you're having is mechanical problems. Call the dealer and don't get discouraged. Once it's up and running you'll be happy.

The electrical problem is fixed, the first year I had it the probe went on me and had to be replaced. I had the stove for 4 yrs now and this grinding noise has been going on for nearly 3 yrs, I called the dealer and they told me to put some oil on the chain and clean it out really good. But it did not work. The service they provide is terrible, and I'm seriously thinking about calling Harman up to complain. Thanks to everyone for all the info!

JAY75 said:
The electrical problem is fixed, the first year I had it the probe went on me and had to be replaced. I had the stove for 4 yrs now and this grinding noise has been going on for nearly 3 yrs, I called the dealer and they told me to put some oil on the chain and clean it out really good. But it did not work. The service they provide is terrible, and I'm seriously thinking about calling Harman up to complain. Thanks to everyone for all the info!

Oh I see! You`ve had the stove 4 yrs now. Your first post sounded like you might have just bought it.
Wish I could help but mine isn`t as good a stove as yours, as it`s just a P38 and has no chain that I know of.
3 yrs grinding must be one dang sturdy chain.

What kind of gear motor is on it?
Gearbox could be bad.............
Your chain could be stretched...
your sprockets could be worn...
gearbox misaligned...
auger or slideplate binding........
I could go on...........

JAY75 said:
If it is still under warranty, definately contact the dealer who sold it to you. We always service what we sell. It may be worthwhile to have someone from their service department at least diagnose the problem.

Well I think the problem is fixed. I got the stove serviced today and I did not know that the saw dust needed to be cleaned out of the auger. The guy took the cover off and it was filled with dust, preventing the auger from spinning and pushing the pellets out like it should. Thanks to everyone that tried to help out, I appreciate it!

one more question for everyone. The gentlemen who serviced my stove told me that I should scrape the burn pot at least once a day so my stove burns properly, but when I did that last year my walls got filthy dirty from the smoke coming out of the stove. Does anyone have a better way to do this? Currently I just shut the stove down every 3 to 4 days and clean it, but many people that I talk to that have Harmans tell me they clean their stove every 10 days.

JAY75 said:
one more question for everyone. The gentlemen who serviced my stove told me that I should scrape the burn pot at least once a day so my stove burns properly, but when I did that last year my walls got filthy dirty from the smoke coming out of the stove. Does anyone have a better way to do this? Currently I just shut the stove down every 3 to 4 days and clean it, but many people that I talk to that have Harmans tell me they clean their stove every 10 days.

If you open the door slow and easy you should not get any smoke coming out
while running. Also only open it just enough to reach in and give the burnpot a
good scrape, not wide open.

I do the rest of the cleaning once a week after the stove is off and cooled down.

JAY75 said:
Well I think the problem is fixed. I got the stove serviced today and I did not know that the saw dust needed to be cleaned out of the auger. The guy took the cover off and it was filled with dust, preventing the auger from spinning and pushing the pellets out like it should. Thanks to everyone that tried to help out, I appreciate it!
Do you mean the slide plate? The cover that has a wingnut on it....

Hello and welcome aboard.

Have you read your owners manual from cover to cover? If you have or not please read it again. This board has a lot of good advise but you have to help yourself before you can ask others for help. After reading your manual, ask your dealer for help. if that does not work come here. You will find an answer from someone that is willing to help.

Eric

yes I did read the manual and I guess I am to blame, But when it was installed they never showed me to clean that part of the stove. Anyway, after the first day of the cleaning the noise is right back to where it was. Maybe it is a mechanical problem, I'll just have to call the dealer again. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.