Problems with my pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beaglemom83

Mar 4, 2019
PA
hello, we have a quadrafire 1200i, never had a problem in the past 5 years. 3 days ago it started malfunctioning. It would drop pellets, ignite, then burn out. We thought it was the thermacouple and replaced it and still the same issue. We watched a multiple videos and made sure everything was clean, including the chimney. Checked all the snap discs and wiring and everything seems to be working including the blower. Found something that said it could be something simple like our firepot gasket. Replaced that because ours was demolished. Getting extremely frustrated. Any ideas?

Try unplugging the stove and pull the control box out and reinstall, it may have a bad connection. Did the thermocouple wires get put on the right terminals? Is the thermocouple wires touching the end of the porcelain tube? Is the tube clean inside?

Try unplugging the stove and pull the control box out and reinstall, it may have a bad connection. Did the thermocouple wires get put on the right terminals? Is the thermocouple wires touching the end of the porcelain tube? Is the tube clean inside?

The unit has been unplugged several times, we took the control box to the parts store and they tested it and it works in a unit they had in the show room. We were told that the wires shouldn't touch the end of the tube.

Oh they are definitely supposed to touch the tube otherwise it’s a porcelain insulator. The tube needs to be extended over the pot at least an inch.
8E0B3681-E2BC-4D8C-AA1D-F99E5829531C.jpeg

Reactions: beaglemom83
Gotta agree with Ssyko,must be 30 threads on here about problems from sensor not pushed all the way in,on quads.

Ssyko is the king here on quads,he will reply.My thoughts are-auger motor dying,plugged chimney cap,or weak/dying vacuum switch.As old as it is,would not surprise me if the capacitor on the auger motor is dying,and it is reversing itself.

Reactions: beaglemom83
That was my next thought is it may be reversing. To check this you will need to empty the hopper. Put a fist full of pellets in the pot and with the hopper open start the stove and watch the auger spring and as it fires up briefly you can see if the auger is changing direction as it comes on.

Im no king thats Kap’s position :)

Last edited:
That was my next thought is it may be reversing. To check this you will need to empty the hopper. Put a fist full of pellets in the pot and with the hopper open start the stove and watch the auger spring and as it fires up briefly you can see if the auger is changing direction as it comes on.

Im no king thats Kap’s position :)

Thank you. We have that a try this morning and It's going in the correct direction. We have a call out to the company because we can't figure it out and everything is checking out. Thanks for all your time and help!

Double check the thermocouple connection and make sure they are on the correct terminals. If they are reversed it will Tell the control board its getting colder instead of hotter

Double check the thermocouple connection and make sure they are on the correct terminals. If they are reversed it will Tell the control board its getting colder instead of hotter
He's checking it now. I'll let you know. Thanks

Is the hubbie comfortable with opening up the control panel and checking the wires inside? Not the control board but the panel with the card edge connector?