Problems with new SIT NOVA 820 valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rharr3558

Feb 17, 2022
new hampshire
Newbie here.

Updating old Majestic Direct Vent Fireplace. Had an old Honeywell RF comfort control valve which I am replacing with new SIT NOVA 820 valve and pilot assembly. Pilot will light and stay lit after pushing pilot valve in for a few seconds, but only after the entire main burner ignites. As soon as I release the pilot valve, the main burner extinguishes and the pilot will stay lit (even after barely holding down pilot valve for a few seconds). After switching over to "On" position, the main burner will not light -- unless the valve is manually pushed in and held. As soon as it is released, the main burner turns back off and pilot stays lit. Pilot will extinguish when valve is turned to off setting. Thermocouple and Thermopile voltage measurements are all within specification.

Sounds like a bad valve to me, but maybe there is something else I can check. Any thoughts?

Newbie here.

Updating old Majestic Direct Vent Fireplace. Had an old Honeywell RF comfort control valve which I am replacing with new SIT NOVA 820 valve and pilot assembly. Pilot will light and stay lit after pushing pilot valve in for a few seconds, but only after the entire main burner ignites. As soon as I release the pilot valve, the main burner extinguishes and the pilot will stay lit (even after barely holding down pilot valve for a few seconds). After switching over to "On" position, the main burner will not light -- unless the valve is manually pushed in and held. As soon as it is released, the main burner turns back off and pilot stays lit. Pilot will extinguish when valve is turned to off setting. Thermocouple and Thermopile voltage measurements are all within specification.

Sounds like a bad valve to me, but maybe there is something else I can check. Any thoughts?
Is the valve installed backwards?
There is an arrow on the valve.

Reactions: 49er
Hey, I just read your post about your Majestic stove. I have 2 of the them, RFSDV34 with the RF comfort valve.The first one my son fixed several years ago by putting in a new valve and pilot assembly. Of course he can't remember what he put in. My issue with my main stove is that the pilot stays lit as long as the pilot knob is pushed in. As soon as I let off even a little bit it goes out. I can get a new pilot assembly, but not the valve if that turns out to be the issue. Could you send me part #s for the valve and pilot assembly you bought? My son lives 1600 miles away so can't help. I hope you receive this and can respond before winter sets in. Thanks in Advance.