Proflame 2 Remote consuming batteries quickly - Jotul GF370

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Furyphoto

Mar 3, 2022
BC, Canada
We have a Jotul GF370DV with Proflame 2 remote. They have been in use for about 5 years. Recently the remote started burning through batteries very quickly.
The remote screen used to stay on and show the temperature all of the time. Now, shortly after the fireplace is off, the remote screen goes blank, and the remote shuts off. The only way to turn it back on seems to be removing the batteries (at least 1) and re-inserting them. Then the remote functions as normal, until the fireplace shuts off, and the behavior is repeated. I can carry on like this for a few days before fresh batteries will be completely dead. If I turn the thermostat down low after the fireplace shuts off, the remote will stay on for a few hours before the batteries get too low and it shuts off.
I have tried new alkaline and rechargeable batteries and get the same behavior. It killed brand new rechargeable batteries so hard, that they cannot be recharged.
It seems like there is suddenly some parasitic drain that is constantly drawing power from the batteries at a higher rate than usual.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!