Propane fireplace insert stopped working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KeepOnTruckin

Nov 30, 2019
We have two Regency U35 propane inserts with, each with Acumen RX-05 remotes. Installed in 2004 by our predecessors.

One day last week, as is my habit on cold mornings, I turned on the kitchen unit for 15 minutes using the remote's timer function. Half an hour later, I noticed it was still running even though the timer on the remote had run down to zero. I waived the remote around for a couple of seconds and the flame went out. Promptly forgot about it.

After being away for a few days, with the heating system for the house set back-- FHW gas-fired system-- we came in last night and the kitchen propane unit would not run. Battery light was flashing on the box behind the grill. Changed the batteries, and the unit lit on its own. Can not now turn it off. The three-way switch does nothing, irrespective of whether or not the battery pack is in. It burns until I shut it off with the gas control knob.

I switched the entire remote control units from the two U35s, and the kitchen unit still will not shut off, and the living room unit continues to work fine with the kitchen unit's former RX-05. Seems like the remote units are not the problem.

Any suggestion as to what the issue might be? I have all the nstallation paperwork, and the folks that installed it are still in business. Thanks.

If by on/off switch you mean a wall-switch: no, there is no such switch.

There is the the receiver box (?) of the RX-05 with 4 AA batteries, wired into the valve. And the remote. The receiver box has a 3-position slide switch: off-remote-on. Presently, on the remote setting, the remote will turn the unit on. Or, I can slide the switch to the "on" position, and the unit will go on. But nothing will then turn it off: neither the remote, nor sliding the switch to the off position.

I can turn it off either by turning the gas valve to off or by pulling either of the TH wire terminals off the connector.

Do those TH wires got to the remote receiver?
Are the batteries GOOD?
Did you actually test them with a multimeter?
Most remotes require 6vDC MINIMUM to function correctly.
If you have ONE weak battery in your set of 4,
that could cause an issue.
What about the batteries in the remote transmitter?

I have even had trouble with brand new batteries out of a box. Might be a on off switch down by the gas valve that got bumped, chase the wires that come off the TH and TH/TP terminals and see if they go anywhere other than the remote reciever.

The remote receiver wires go to the two TH terminals, but removing those wires will not shut down the unit. There are two other wires coming off the TH terminals which feed in to a bunch of wires which go out of sight, out the side/rear; presumably(?) to the 110 volt blower motor and/or its power source.

The blower motor has a rheostat switch on the side of the unit's frame, which also has an "off" position whereby the switch clicks to off and the fan shuts down --if it had been running. I have now confirmed that switching that blower motor switch to the off position will not shut down the flame, and that only removing one of the TH terminals will shut the flame down.

The batteries in both the receiver and the remote are newly replaced, and good, as proven by switching out the receiver and remote with the receiver and remote in my other Regency U35 in another room. That unit works normally with either set of controls.

ANY wires coming off the TH terminals will ONLY go to some sort of switch.
Those terminals have NOTHING to do with the blower.

Here is a page from your manual. It shows the location of the on off switch on the upper left of the surround.

Attachments

• 1575205100199.png
    1575205100199.png
    343.3 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: jsiets