Protecting a combustible wall which has a furnace heat register

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bobde1234

Oct 30, 2019
Michigan
Hello all. I’m new to forums and am in my planning stages to install my first wood stove. My house has never had one, and I seem to have one wall that I can locate the stove. I’ve been looking at the jotul 602, f100, and f3. I’ve been thinking of the stove for winter evenings, not especially to replace furnace heat. I’ve gone as far as mocking up on cardboard the stoves and required size hearth pads to get an idea of the footprint they will take up. Also, I’m planning a straight shot vertical chimney, and locating the center of the chimney 15.5” to the wall. This is how it works out centered in the ceiling joists.

if I choose the f100 or the f602, I’ll meet the rear wall clearance requirements. But not on the f3. For the f3, I’d need to install a wall protector, and I had been thinking of a metal one 1” standing off from the wall. But now my complication. I have wall mounted forced air heat register that would be in the way of the wall mounted heat shield (it’s on the wall and is about 6” from the floor surface. I’m stumped how to handle this. I probably cannot make a 6”x10” notch out the metal heat shield and pass inspection. Or maybe yes? I haven’t tried to contact the inspector about this yet. The f3 stove is appealing as it doesn’t take up much more floor space than the f100 and can take a longer log. So I’m wondering if others have had this experience and what they have done to solve it. I sure do appreciate any help!

Welcome. Is the register a supply or return? If supply, the wall shield doesn't need to be 1" off the wall. It could be 1.5 or 2". That should be enough for the heat to come out of the register when the stove is not running.

There are other stoves that might also work without a shield. How large an area will the stove be heating?

Welcome. Is the register a supply or return? If supply, the wall shield doesn't need to be 1" off the wall. It could be 1.5 or 2". That should be enough for the heat to come out of the register when the stove is not running.

There are other stoves that might also work without a shield. How large an area will the stove be heating?
Hi BeGreen!
Our house is very small, and 1200sq ft. The stove is mainly to make the 200sq ft living room cozy. The jotul f100 seems actually the best choice as it meets the clearances without needing a rear wall protector, and as the local stove shop man pointed out, the hearth pad does not require insulation (only non combustible) , so perhaps a steel plate and no time needed to build something.

It just occurred to me that perhaps the f3 could be rear vented with a T, and that would set the stove out further away from the wall, and a 1/2 pipe shield could provide the combustion protection for the pipe.

Hi BeGreen!
Our house is very small, and 1200sq ft. The stove is mainly to make the 200sq ft living room cozy. The jotul f100 seems actually the best choice as it meets the clearances without needing a rear wall protector, and as the local stove shop man pointed out, the hearth pad does not require insulation (only non combustible) , so perhaps a steel plate and no time needed to build something.

It just occurred to me that perhaps the f3 could be rear vented with a T, and that would set the stove out further away from the wall, and a 1/2 pipe shield could provide the combustion protection for the pipe.
Oh and the register is a supply. And maybe I was dt so clear but it is 6x10 and is at floor level.

As a room heater, for mostly nights and weekends the F100 is a nice stove. It takes shorter wood than the F3CB and has a bit shorter burn time, but for a small room it could be fine. All of the Jotuls mentioned are pretty radiant heaters. Does your dealer sell any other brands?

Oh and the register is a supply. And maybe I was dt so clear but it is 6x10 and is at floor level.
That's what I thought, but I needed to verify.

They sell morso as well. I’ve also been looking at second hand stoves. My neighbor has a Vermont castings intrepid stone that has a very nice look to it, and the top load feature looks nice as well.

As a room heater, for mostly nights and weekends the F100 is a nice stove. It takes shorter wood than the F3CB and has a bit shorter burn time, but for a small room it could be fine. All of the Jotuls mentioned are pretty radiant heaters. Does your dealer sell any other brands?

That's what I thought, but I needed to verify.
BeGreen thank you for this information it’s been very helpful. It has got me thinking (and measuring) the return air ducts to the proposed stove location. The room has 2 return ducts, one approx 7ft from stove location, and one approx 14ft stove location. Would I need to cap that closest return register? I’ve been looking for more detail on this, and I haven’t seen it in any of the stove manuals I’ve read. As far as reading it in nfpa211 I’m not sure where exactly to look, and it appears to see the latest doc it is not free to look at (but older versions are).