Pulling additional heat from an All Nighter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

all night moe

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2015
earth
Thought I'd share my little redneck project. I have a Mid Moe in our living room which is adjacent to our kitchen. The kitchen has zero heat save turning on the electric oven. Walls are insulated with R13 with R19 in a full cathedral ceiling. Floor has no insulation over a very low crawlspace. No way to currently insulate without a new foundation. Spray foam would work but I'm not going that route.

I've got a 60qt stock pot on top of the stove about half filled. Just playing with it at the moment, for I am not going anywhere this weekend. It is holding a temp of 165-170* with the flue temp at 300-350*. I plan to insulate the outside of the pot and get a lid for it. I'm sure I can maintain 180* still on slow burn.

My plan is to use a Taco 007 circulator into a heat exchanger in the kitchen. I have 13' of recycled 3/4'' tube and fin. I was going to place this along the NW wall where there are 2 windows. I did the math at 600btu output/feet for the cubic feet of the room and it fell way short of the required footage. Now I'm going to make a few sections with a manifold on each end, like a car rad. Probably going with 1 1/2 - 2'' on the manifolds. This will be enclosed with a box fan pulling the air on low speed. I have an outlet I hooked up to a dimmer switch to further reduce fan speed.

Last year I did not have the wood stove set up. After moving in, snow came quick and the stove spent the winter in the garage. It was a very cold winter in the kitchen. I will keep my results posted.

When All Nighters were in production they had a water heating collar option that fit around the outlet on the back of the stove. I couldn’t locate one way back when we had a Mid Moe some 30 years ago. Always had a plan to heat water with the stove, but never materialized.

Reactions: all night moe
When All Nighters were in production they had a water heating collar option that fit around the outlet on the back of the stove. I couldn’t locate one way back when we had a Mid Moe some 30 years ago. Always had a plan to heat water with the stove, but never materialized.
I've seen that collar. My Mid Moe has the flue jacket. I've also read about some guys winding up SS coil from gas line or something. It was 7-8yrs ago I came across that. I guess a collar wouldn't be to hard to fabricate with some sheet forming tools and a good welder.

I've seen that collar. My Mid Moe has the flue jacket. I've also read about some guys winding up SS coil from gas line or something. It was 7-8yrs ago I came across that. I guess a collar wouldn't be to hard to fabricate with some sheet forming tools and a good welder.
I thought about trying to fabricate a heat exchanger for my All Nighter back then but never did. There’s a lot of considerations when you start heating water in a closed system. It’s not a difficult system to design but the implementation in my house wasn’t practical. That stove put out some serious heat. We removed it from our family room when our kids were toddler. After a few years we reinstalled with a small stove. Jotul 3cb. Better size for the room.

I thought about trying to fabricate a heat exchanger for my All Nighter back then but never did. There’s a lot of considerations when you start heating water in a closed system. It’s not a difficult system to design but the implementation in my house wasn’t practical. That stove put out some serious heat. We removed it from our family room when our kids were toddler. After a few years we reinstalled with a small stove. Jotul 3cb. Better size for the room.
I think the collar would work well, for those basement stove locations, to circulate some water in a closed system, for heating DHW thru a FPHE.

Could use the collar in a thermosiphon function to heat an open vessel like I have set up now.

The fact that my stove was in the family room (upstair) and not the basement made a closed system not possible. I tried to think of ways to utilize the heat of the beast but nothing was practical. That was 25 years ago. These days I just think of ways to escape to a free state.