Purchasing Harman P38+ / Questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don`t mind the P-38 manual light . It takes only 30 seconds or less to mix a cup of pellets with a little gel , or even better a couple oz of 91% alcohol ($2.49 qt in Wal mart). Then dump it in the burnpot and light it up and you have an instant fire in a lot less time than auto light and no worries about the ignitor ever burning out .
while the ole Master Chief is certainly a veteran of lighting his stove, I must warn folks about using alcohol of that strength to light your stove....very explosive.....if squirted on a "live" fire (or ember), the fire can go right up the stream, into the can, causing you to quickly discard the can whereever convenient.....the rug, couch, sibling, pet, etc.....not a pretty picture. I suggest using pellet gel, available from your local, helpful, smart, good looking, debonaire hearth dealer! ==c

From my hiking days, you can make 500 firestarterss for 15$ with some cotton balls and vaseline. Drop a couple in, use a BBQ lighter, and you are cooking. I'm positive 4-5 would get your pellets going with little risk.

while the ole Master Chief is certainly a veteran of lighting his stove, I must warn folks about using alcohol of that strength to light your stove....very explosive.....if squirted on a "live" fire (or ember), the fire can go right up the stream, into the can, causing you to quickly discard the can whereever convenient.....the rug, couch, sibling, pet, etc.....not a pretty picture. I suggest using pellet gel, available from your local, helpful, smart, good looking, debonaire hearth dealer! ==c

Good reminder I guess for anyone who might be totally ignorant regarding any wood fueled stove. , but adding gel in the same scenario wouldn`t exactly be a safe thing to do either. Actually there might not be ANY thing that`s safe to throw on a fire or a hot burn pot.
The only drawback to the wal mart alcohol vs the gel IS the fact that some ignorant fool might just do that, throw it on a fire . In the USA the law (READ: lawyers) would prefer to lay the responsibility on the stove maker instead of the user for obvious reasons of litigation , (Read : lawsuit, money). IMO the responsibility lies soley with the dope who would in fact throw an accelerant into a hot stove, embers, or a fire.
Obviously the manufacturer has some responsibility to educate the end user of proper use and operation his product and does so with an instruction booklet , but anyone who doesn`t already know what can happen when a liquid accelerant is tossed into a fire has to be mentally challenged to begin with and definitely never given the responsibiity of having to start a fire in a pellet stove.
That all said , I will say from my experience with the P-38 which might be one of the harder pellet stoves to manually start and when used as a fire starter (from a cold start) the 91% alcohol mixed in a cup of pellets is much more efficient and reliable starting a pellet fire than the gel ,is no more prone to flashing as the gel is , and is much cheaper and readily available at any wal mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.