Putting a free-standing stove in an interior double-sided fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ansky

Feb 18, 2013
central CT
My house has a double-sided fireplace between the living room and dining room (see pic below). The fireplace is all brick with a 20+ foot masonry chimney. I'd like to remove the gas log set and put a medium-sized free-standing wood stove in this area. It's a large area (29" high, 36" wide and 25" deep - plus another 18" on each side for hearth). I'm considering purchasing either a 9 year old Lopi Leyden or a 10 year old Jotul Castine 400. Similar prices. I'm leaning towards the Lopi. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 113
I suggest you stay away from the Leyden. This was not Lopi's shining star. Lots of problems as they age and quite particular about draft. In addition to the Jotul take a look at the Hampton H300.