PVDC-25 loud auger only at low speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trpkchkn

Jan 11, 2021
Maine
Hi all -
My first season with a pellet stove. Refurbished Englander
Been working on making this thing quieter.
Replaced the exhaust blower motor first and that helped a lot.

One thing I’ve noticed now is that the lower auger (I assume, because it is constant ) is louder at speed 1 or 2 than it is higher.

not really a problem most days, I set it to 3 and it is good. But on warmer days or overnight I like it on setting 1, but it is a good deal louder.
Any idea why ?

Doesn't matter what heat / speed setting you set it to, those augers both turn at 1 RPM, they don't fluctuate. Perhaps because everything else is louder at the higher settings that it drowns out the auger noise?

Eric

Reactions: BackDoc and Ssyko
Doesn't matter what heat / speed setting you set it to, those augers both turn at 1 RPM, they don't fluctuate. Perhaps because everything else is louder at the higher settings that it drowns out the auger noise?

Eric
Hmm interesting - so what affects the feed rate of the pellets if the RPM doesn’t change ? Does the top auger just cycle on/off at different rates ?

I definitely hear a different/louder noise , I have a pretty sensitive ear.
maybe it is an issue of harmonics? The way the fan speeds are interacting with each other on feed setting one and two ?

Top auger 1rpm is turned on by the control board at certain intervals depending on heat range. Bottom auger is 1rpm constant cycle. Combustion and convection blowers change speed with heat and blower settings.

Just tossing it out there because way back when I had an England's stove (which I basically wore out and sold) and didn't replace with another but, I seem to remember that the lower, constant speed auger drive (motor and reduction gearbox) had a synthetic rubber insulator pad between the drive and the stove itself to mitigate operating noise. Is it there on yours and if it isn't I'd be replacing it or cutting one from an old rubber mudflap.

Reactions: Ssyko