Q: is there a very quiet pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paulmlemay

Oct 30, 2016
Northern California
Other than the Wiseway, is there a fanless pellet stove? I am considering putting a pellet stove in my living room, but my only experience they are a bit loud, with the fans. I'm sensitive to the noise. Is anyone aware of a pellet stove that's similar to a wood stove, without fans?

Nothing against the Wiseway, but it's ugly.

There's "quiet" like a fanless woodstove and then there's "relatively quiet for a pellet stove". Some of them are definitely better than others. The spread is like between a hair dryer and a cheap microwave.

The short answer is NO
some are quieter than others but with few exceptions,
they all have a fan that makes noise
That's the trade-off for the ease and convenience of a pellet stove.

Reactions: Highbeam
I am pretty impressed with my old Windsor, predecessor to the Empress Enviro, the convection and exhaust blowers vary their speed/noise levels according to the temp setting, now it does kick into high speed convection when the 160* fan sensor is tripped until it drops to 140* as it has a 20* differential, you can also shut the convection fan off on this model and it will run on-off as the temps reach 160*, I found this a bit annoying as it would do this every 15-30min depending on temp setting, so I swapped it out for a 180*-20* differential fan switch of the same Emerson make and quality, and as you would expect the fans rarely kick on to high unless I'm at the mid range and up heat level setting and it reaches 180* of course. The stove has a cast iron panels that work very well as a radiant heat giving it that wood stove feel and appearance but with a convection fan, you cannot hear the exhaust fan on this model although it is a new high flow Enviro exhaust fan.

Compared to my Flame FP45/Drolet ECO55 which will drive me outta the shop due to its consistant noise level.

*Caution this modifies the safety feature built in to cool the stove to manufactures specs, but this stove and many others also have a 200* high limit switch located close to the hopper incase temps reach a dangerous level and auto shut down the stove. Now I have monitored this setup carefully for a few months with no ill effects, infact it produces better heat and makes sitting on the stove uncomfortable lol, whereas before the cast iron would only get warm. I also tried an adjustable fan controller but found it counterproductive and when you put it on high the fan would not be as effective at dissipating the heat and removed the fan controller.

Short answer: No. Highbeam is giving you a realistic answer.