Quad castile insert burn pot floor drooping and whining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PoolGuyinCT

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2012
Plymouth CT
Hi guys

Quad Castile insert. Having a couple of issues.

1. It's too cold out

2. Burn pot "floor" is not flush to the bowl. I loosened the bolt on the slide a few years ago because it rusted shut in the off season, tightened it up and been god for 2 years.

It's is sagging a bit, enough to make putting ash tray back in a bit of an annoyance. I'm weary to crank on the pot bolts, as I've been greedy with cast iron in the past. The last thing I want to hear is the point of no return "pop."

3. On lesser note a bit of harmonic whine when room fan aka convection blower kicks on, original motor 2007.
So I see where that's going.

4. Soot / lint eater in insert anybody?

Still chugging on Greene teams, may bust out some cubes of sets for fun. Though the teams are doing the job quite well.

Ray in connecticut

Sounds like you need a new burn pot assembly and circulation blower.

Eric

Thanks, I had a feeling it was going that way.

Any Castile insert owners have a pic of the stove room blower disassmebled or exposed?

Ty

The bolt that holds the burn pot dump valve isn't cast. Take if apart and put a coating of antisieze on it. Then tighten it just enough that the door has no more clearance on the opposite side than the thickness of a dime. You should be good to go for another two years! If the bolt's too rusted, take it to a hardware store and get a new stainless nut and bolt and a tube of antisieze.

Thanks tjnamtiw

Is it warped or just a loose bolt?

Warped.. not good and Eric is correct.

Loose.. Then high temp anti seize and tighten as tjnamtiw suggests.

The bottom plate isn't cast and should be tightened till slightly snug.

Mine loosens almost every year. So applied some Loc-tite to the threads last year. So far, so good.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
The removable kind, I hope :oops:

Nope. Only removed my pot once. And that was to replace the factory gasket with a 5/8" flat gasket (use it on everything!)

That bolt should never need to come out. Haven't needed to remove it yet.

When it loosens, the pot floor drops and all burn air comes in through that gap. The fire still Burns, but its a much.smaller flame, because of the rush of air.

The removable kind, I hope :oops:
It's only a 6mm bolt... Nothing permanent about it, just snap it off if needed. I tend to think (they made it too perfect) that bushing could be about .010" longer, then the nut wouldn't ever self loosen. Currently if I really tighten mine down the floor is tough to dump, so you loosen it off just enough to get smooth dumps, but I think I'll take care of that bushing and hardware this summer.

For what it's worth, and maybe they're even available separate I don't know, it wouldn't take anything to cut out a new one with a plasma. It's only 3/16 or 1/4" plate at most. Nothing exotic about it. Just trace the old one and go. Three holes, and you're back in service.

Just snugged mine up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357082184.057435.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357082258.828915.jpg

It's only a 6mm bolt... Nothing permanent about it, just snap it off if needed. I tend to think (they made it too perfect) that bushing could be about .010" longer, then the nut wouldn't ever self loosen. Currently if I really tighten mine down the floor is tough to dump, so you loosen it off just enough to get smooth dumps, but I think I'll take care of that bushing and hardware this summer.
They should have designed it with a shoulder bolt of the correct size so that, like Dinger says, you could just tighten it down and forget it. If I had any spare time now that I'm retired (!!!!), I'd fire up the metal lathe and make one to fit what I have or shave off the existing parts to fit a standard shoulder bolt.

Any Castile insert owners have a pic of the stove room blower disassmebled or exposed?
Are you looking for a specific shot? Here's the one I removed 5 years ago. It's from a freestanding Castile, but the manuals say the insert uses the same part number.
blower1.JPGblower2.JPG

Thanks swine

Double check your locknut on the set up. I pulled mine this morning to clean the pot and the lock nut, no longer was. I spun it with my fingers. I got a new 6x30 SS bolt and all metal locknut, and back in business after checking the floor and bushing with a file. All nice and straight. My bushing was better than I thought. Just a few thou proud of the floor plate, seems perfect in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.