Quad Castile question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gog222

Sep 2, 2008
MD
I have 2 questions for the forum..First, when i bought my stove last summer, there was a can of black pait included. In the manual they say to paint the inside metal parts.. whwt parts do they mean? Just the firepot? sidewalls? 2nd question is this, what exactly is the reset button for and when would you use it?

thanks in advance,
Gary

The paint is for general touch up and can be used on any painted surface. Do not paint the firepot. I paint the inside almost every year, the side walls, top baffle, and bricks. Over time these areas tend to need it, even tho I block the exhaust and Pam the inside for the summer, still seem to get some rust. The reset button is mostly used if you run the hopper dry, it runs the auger for an extended time to prime the auger chute with pellets. I sometimes need to push it twice, maybe a minute in between, to get the chute full if the hopper runs dry. Otherwise I would guess that if the stove gets 'confused', hitting the button would be a good starting point in trouble shooting.

Because the firebox may tend to rust over the summer (depending on moisture), it is a good idea to spray it with a protectant. Some people use Pam (yes, the kitchen spray!), WD40, or other oil based stuff.

My summer shut down routine includes doing a full clean including the vent and hopper. I then block the vent on the outside with a cap, put tape over the thermostat to remind me of the vent being blocked, spray the inside and outside and wipe it down, then unplug the unit. There are a few times over the summer that I might fire her up just for the heck of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.