Quad~Castille Whistling Dixie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
Hey kids...

Just a question. For a few days now my Castille has developed(only on low setting as far as I can tell) a slight whistle, sounds worse at night with sound carrying(and the thirty dogs hanging out outside lol). Its not ground halting screaching but like a low whistle. Sounds almost like someone blowing lightly into a coke bottle. So.....I cleaned off the exhaust fan(which wasnt dirty hardly at all) I traced the sound to what I thought was at the convection blower....cleaned that all up nice...wasnt to dirty but a lil dust on the blades. But....now I'm thinking....hmm....when I'm listening and following the direction of the whistling....sounds like the whistling "may" be coming from one of the airflow holes in the burn pot....maybe something in one of the holes causing a slight whistle maybe? Havent checked that yet......any ideas?

Usually they whistle when there is an air leak someplace. Make sure the ash dump is not sagging too much and closing fully.

jtp10181 said:
Usually they whistle when there is an air leak someplace. Make sure the ash dump is not sagging too much and closing fully.

Thanks JT......I was thinking air somewhere when I was thinking the holes in the burnpot.....thanks on the ashdump! That makes sense.....I'll check it....

My Castile will do it at startup initially, but usually dies down once it gets to temperature.

Ok....one thing I noticed. I am very up on cleaning my burnpot etc daily. Today I didnt get to it....and I notice tonight...I hear no light whistling at all. Hmm. (The light whistling usually only happens on low)....

my castile does the train whistle thing sometimes during start up. subsides after a few minutes. I do get a grumbling sound like an F-15 taking off when the pot needs emptied. Make sure all the holes are not obstructed in the pot.

castile owner

shawnjhawn said:
my castile does the train whistle thing sometimes during start up. subsides after a few minutes. I do get a grumbling sound like an F-15 taking off when the pot needs emptied. Make sure all the holes are not obstructed in the pot.

Yeah! I get the grumbling when the pot needs to be emptied...I figured it out quickly that when the holes are obstructed they make that noise lol.

castile owner

Status
Not open for further replies.