Quad Classic Bay 1200 airflow under stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JordanFrame

Oct 19, 2017
South Salem, NY
I have a classic Bay 1200 free-standing that I purchased used several months ago. It's vented out through a 6 or 7 foot vent that runs up the wall and out through a thimble. Although it runs well, I've never felt like the flame looks as good and active as my classic Bay insert upstairs.A couple of things that have occurred to me are (i) have it sitting on stone pavers above a protective pad, and wondering if the air flow under the stove (through the pavers) could be affecting the flame, or (ii) maybe the shorter vent draft for this free-standing stove is not pulling air out as well as the insert that runs up the chimney, in which case maybe extend the length of the vertical run of the vent. .I've also considered an outside air kit, but have heard mixed reviews about the benefits of those. Would appreciate any input from the experts on this forum. Here's a pic of my setup.

Thanks for your input.

Jordan
15481106604603058234161659540738.jpg

that pic looks like a good fire. An OAK is good on most stoves but the CB1200 is a tough one you would have to seal up alot of seams inside the stove and in the back then use a flat Gasket to seal the stove to the hearth. i dont think your pavers are a hinderance at all