Quad cold start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

In the shop

Oct 24, 2017
London, Ontario
Happy New year all, Quick question, is there a minimum temp that a stove will start. I have in my shop and only run it when I’m out there so it sees some cold.

Some stoves use small motors and have gear boxes with grease. I have seen the electric motors fail trying to turn the heavy grease. Usually they will be on auger motors and sometimes on fans. Yesterday we were at -15 and my shop stoves were real stiff as it wasn't heated for a week. I have a Harman PC45 and a Bixby in it. The Harman started but the Bixby needed some help before it would go.

Mine was temperature finicky. I just hit reset and she fired up. Cold pots tend to absorb alot if the heat from an Ignitor is all i could chalk it up to.

Reactions: kappel15
Is the igniter coming on? If it is, hit the reset and let it only run feeding for half the time, then unplug one of the wires on the vac switch to stop it. Then plug it back in at end of time.. Don't want too much fuel in there when she goes. If the igniter isn't coming on, unplug it and do a continuity test on it, to see if it is good. kap

Is the igniter coming on? If it is, hit the reset and let it only run feeding for half the time, then unplug one of the wires on the vac switch to stop it. Then plug it back in at end of time.. Don't want too much fuel in there when she goes. If the igniter isn't coming on, unplug it and do a continuity test on it, to see if it is good. kap

Kap, if I reset the stove she runs. ignighter gets hot on reset. I wonder if it’s like Ssyko said and just a cold pot.

If the igniter is working, then it is just a cold stove startup. When hitting the reset, it not only adds more fuel, but adds more time the igniter is on.

Last edited:
Reactions: SwineFlue