Quadra 1200i and honeywell 5-2 day programmable thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmei007

Nov 12, 2007
Boston MA
I have a Quadra 1200i pellet stove. Right now it is controlled by a mechanical thermostat came with the stove. I am wondering if I can replace the mechanical one with a honeywell 5-2 day programmable thermostat (model: RTH6300B)?

I read the Quadra manual. It says "A 12 volt AC thermostat is required to operate this pellet appliance." I don't know that honeywell thermostat is 12 volt or not. That thermostat uses two AA size battery.

Any idea?

thanks,

The 1200i has a simple make or break circuit that will work with any low voltage thermostat. I'm not sure where they got the 12v from as most are 24v, but that doesn't make any difference in this case, there's no transformer involved.

Do you already have this thermostat? I don't have the docs, but one thing to check for is whether it has a user controllable temp swing (differential). If not, I would pass and get one that does. I used a 7 day LUX thermostat on my system and it worked great. It has a swing control and was very easy to adjust for the stove and environment.

BeGreen said:
The 1200i has a simple make or break circuit that will work with any low voltage thermostat.

That means my 5-2day thermostat can be used here and will not cause any damage to the stove?

BeGreen said:
Do you already have this thermostat? I don't have the docs, but one thing to check for is whether it has a user controllable temp swing (differential).

Yes, we bought it for our oil heating system few weeks ago, but our oil company has replaced our died thermostat with a manual thermostat for free (included in the service plan). I don't think the thermostat has that temp swing.

thanks

I used a programmable thermostat on my Enviro Empress when I first installed it, and ended up replacing it with a manual a couple weeks later. It worked most of the time, but occasionally the stove would be in start up mode when the program changed to a lower temperature. That would creat an issue every time. I would end up with an overfilled burn pot and the stove would not light the next time heat was called for. The electronics in your stove may be different. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

That's the reason for getting one with an adjustable swing. You want to decrease it's sensitivity slightly.

Also, the thermostat location is important. You don't want the thermostat close to the stove or directly influenced by it. A location around the corner on an interior wall, out of the influence of exterior doors is ideal.

I like the Lux TX1500 or 9000 series. They are inexpensive, adjustable, easy to use and reliable. You can find them at some Home Depots or often on eBay for under $30.

http://www.luxproducts.com/thermostats/tx1500.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.