Quadra 1200i blower issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmei007

Nov 12, 2007
Boston MA
Hi Everybody,

My stove was in and started first fire Friday. I will report my experience to the community and share some photos to you later because without the help from you it will be harder to me.

Right now there is big issue bother me. The blower seems doesn't work as I expected. I stopped the stove few times (run out of pellet twice, clean once). Each time the blower does not start normal. For example, this morning i cleaned the stove and then fire the stove. After more than twenty minutes, the blower still did not started. The stove was very hot but no heat comes out with the air flow. I need to press the reset button. But I don't know when the reset button will trigger the blower because sometimes when I press the reset button it still does work. And idea?

The manual says "The convention blower will automatically turn on after your appliance has reached the set temperature". I don't know where I or the appliance set the "set temperature"? One place I can think about is the thermostat. I use the attached T10-1141/PSM30 heating only thermostat. (see the photo please). The long pointer points to the smallest number .15 according to a stuff of the stove store (But I don't why is that and I don't know what that anticipator will do?).

Or the fire is not strong enough which doesn't heat the thermocouple enough?

Right now the blower stopped again but the stove is hot and keeping burnning.

looks like there are still many things to learn before I can use it efficiently.

Please help.

Attachments

• house 225.jpg
    house 225.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 743
There is a snap disc on the body of the the stove that when tripped will allow the convection blower to turn on. It has nothing to do with the wall thermostat.

We have a former 1200 owner on here maybe he can tell us exactly where it is located. I have never worked on one.

jtp10181 said:
There is a snap disc on the body of the the stove that when tripped will allow the convection blower to turn on. It has nothing to do with the wall thermostat.

We have a former 1200 owner on here maybe he can tell us exactly where it is located. I have never worked on one.
I think they are saying the stove is hot but the blower coming on is erratic.. But I'm not sure

Does that wall thermostat have a Mercury contact in it?
If it does make sure it is mounted to the wall securly and it needs to be level. (in pic it looks like it is laying on the floor.)

Still... the wall stat has NOTHING to do with the convection blower at all. The wall stat either calls for heat or not, end of story.

First I'd like to say congrats on getting that beast installed!
I just had a look at the troubleshooting section of the
manual for that stove.

Symptom:

Convection blower fails to start:

possible cause:

No call light
#1 snap disc defective
blower not plugged in
blower is defective
control box is defective

Yours is a brand new stove? I would first
check to see if the blower is properly plugged
into the wiring harness as stated in the manual.

jtp10181 said:
Still... the wall stat has NOTHING to do with the convection blower at all. The wall stat either calls for heat or not, end of story.
relax...... >:-( Iwas just throwing out a thought....
Most if not all stoves will turn the convection blower on, off, up or down based on the temp of the room, correct? or does this model only turn off the blower when it runs out of pellets and the stove cools?

With the Quad units except the Mt Vernon AE the wall stat does one thing, calls for heat. Its either on or off. The stove has no idea of what temp it wants it to be or what temp the room is. The convection blower is turned on and off by the snap disc. When the stove heats up the blower comes on, when the stove cools it turns off. The snap disc is a fixed temperature and it mounted to the body of the stove. All it does is break current to the blower when the stove is cool and the disc opens. The blower speed is controlled by the burn rate selected, the higher the burn rate the faster the convection blower goes.

I would check the snap Disc #1, make sure its mounted tight to the stove body. You could also put a multimeter on it set for ohms and check it while the fan is malfunctioning. If the reading is steady the disc is fine, if it is jumping all over then it needs to be replaced. When the stove heats up you should get a reading of 0 or near 0. When it is cool you should get a reading of infinite or 1. If the stove heats up and the blower should be on, but the reading stays at 1 then the disc is defective. If the reading goes to 0 but the blower does not come on then something else is wrong.

jtp10181 said:
With the Quad units except the Mt Vernon AE the wall stat does one thing, calls for heat. Its either on or off. The stove has no idea of what temp it wants it to be or what temp the room is. The convection blower is turned on and off by the snap disc. When the stove heats up the blower comes on, when the stove cools it turns off. The snap disc is a fixed temperature and it mounted to the body of the stove. All it does is break current to the blower when the stove is cool and the disc opens. The blower speed is controlled by the burn rate selected, the higher the burn rate the faster the convection blower goes.
That is my point... the tstat says I need heat which sends signal to control board to start stove(it too is in essence merely a snap switch).. when up to temp start blower, control takes over.
If it is running and stove blower turns on and off besides the snap switch is it not possible that the External t-stat is telling the stove to turn on/off erraticly
That is all........ I'll let BeGreen explain his thoughts.......

Even if the stat stopped calling for heat the combustion blower would continue to run for around 15 minutes. And the convection blower would run until the stove cools down.

Also, lmei007, FYI the RESET button has nothing to do with the convection blower at all. If pressing the reset button makes it come it is merely a coincidence. The reset button should ONLY need to be used if the unit runs out of pellets. When you go to start it again the aug cycle will run out before any pellets make it to the burn pot, in which case you hit reset and it will start the aug cycle over again.

This evening I found time to trace the blower. The following is the result:
6:40 -- 6:50 blower stopped
7:10 -- 7:20 stopped
9:04 -- 9:33 stopped
9:48 -- 10:07 stopped
10:25 -- 10:36 stopped
11:00 -- 11:06 stopped

That is not good. That is why our rooms did not warm enough. The temperature of the room with it is just above 70.

it swallowed 9 bags during the past 6.5 days.

Anybody can tell me the exact location of the snap disc?

thanks

Thank you Zeta. I will have a look at it after work.

I guess it maybe the pellets we burnt are not good enough. We temperary bought 12 bags two different brands from Homedepot. They may not give us enough heat.

I have a question about that snap disc #1 125F. Where it knows the temperature? from the thermocouple? Does it mean I need to clean that thermocouple more often otherwise the temperature may not be detected by it correctly?

It is a snap disc set to close at a certain temperature. They use different metals that react to heat differently, so it is calibrated at about 125F the little disc inside will snap (hence the name) and close the circuit. They do not rely on anything else to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.