Quadra Cab50 in use with a oil furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RRL

Feb 17, 2015
Canada Ontario
So i just got a Cab50 quadra installed this past Wednesday and so far loving it!

I have the right air flow set up with fans that the stove is able to heat the whole house on a high setting but im trying to find a way to run both my furnace and stove so that I can offset the cost... right now my pellet stove is burning more or less 5lbs an hour on high setting (running off of a Tstat) but doing so at that rate im burning around the same cost of wood vs the cost of oil. (also doesnt help were in a bit of a cold snap)

for those of you who have and run both a furnace and pellet do you just set and forget both T stats set at the same temp?

my stove T stat is next to the pellet stove (away from direct heat) and will typically call for heat much sooner then the furnace T stat that's upstairs.

I know it will take some time to tweak and find that "happy" setting but curious on what others have done to run both to work together vs working against each other (having 1 or the other go on and heat the house before the other can have time to start heating)

Only one heat source will work at a time.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
You can actually find a sweet spot' where both units will run, but never together, one will always cancel the other. I keep my central furnace (propane) set 5 degrees below the biomass stove (also on a remote T'stat and both T'stats are next to each other and both are digital so I can monitor the temps all the time. When the biomass stove is unable to maintain the heat load, the central furnace will kick on but it always cancels out the biomass stove which will then go to low fire until the ambient temp in the house drops enough to kick in the biomass stove which then repeats the cycle all over again.

My stove is manual light so it's burning all the time (low fire or high fire) depending on what the T'stat is calling for.

Takes some fiddling to get them to run in tandem and outside ambient also impacts the cycling.

In my case it's important for the central furnace to run once in a while as I don't want to pipes in the basement to freeze. I need some warmth down there all the time. Besides, we don't like cold floors under foot.

Thanks for the tips!

definitely neither will run at the same time from what ive seen as you guys mentioned. even turned off my central furnace fan and floor fans and the stove still seems to be able to heat the house on a medium setting. I actually find it to be more efficient on fuel minimizing the circulation of air in the house which i find odd. Though im sure it has a lot to do with being an open concept home.

with that said ofcourse there are a few spots in the house now that are a couple degrees cooler in comparison to when i had the furnace fan on constant and floor fans blowing into the stove room.